Scott Horn receives Blackboard Exemplary Course award
Cincinnati State Math Professor Scott Horn has been recognized as a recipient of the Blackboard Exemplary Course Award, for his online course MAT 131, Statistics 1.
- Scott is one of only 36 faculty members from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. to receive this award for 2020.
- You can take a video tour of Scott's award-winning course at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgycZtBdeXs.
Dean of Humanities & Sciences Geoff Woolf said, "Anyone at the College who has seen Scott’s statistics course recognizes that it is a tour de force in adult education."
"I’m so happy for Scott that his hard work is being recognized on a national level," Dean Woolf added.
The Exemplary Course Program sponsored by Blackboard Inc. recognizes instructors and course designers whose courses demonstrate best practices in four major areas.
Courses submitted for recognition are evaluated by a peer group of Blackboard clients using the Exemplary Course Program Rubric. The components include:
- Course Design, which considers elements such as structure of the course, learning objectives, organization of content, and instructional strategies.
- Interaction and Collaboration, including type and amount of interaction and collaboration within an online environment, and communication between and among learners and instructors.
- Assessment, focused on instructional activities that measure progress toward learning outcomes, and provide feedback to students and instructors.
- Learner Support, which addresses the support resources made available to students taking the course.
Scott has been recognized in the past for his innovative and high-quality approaches to developing online mathematics courses, and he has shared his knowledge and insights with other faculty at numerous forums and presentations on- and off-campus.
Condolences to Sharon Brown
Betty Love Brown, the mother of Sharon Brown (Welcome Center and Career Services), passed on Dec. 2, 2020.
- Visitation will take place on Friday, Dec. 11, from 10 to 11 a.m., at the Lincoln Heights Missionary Baptist Church, 9991 Wayne Ave., Cincinnati, 45215.
- A Homegoing Celebration will follow from 11 a.m. to noon.
- Those attending must wear masks and observe social distancing.
Messages of condolence may be posted at the Walker Funeral Home website.
College internet outage scheduled for Dec. 7 at midnight
An upgrade to the College's internet network hardware is scheduled to take place overnight starting at 11:59 p.m. on Monday, Dec. 7, and continuing to about 3 a.m. on Tuesday morning, Dec. 8.
Please plan ahead for this temporary disruption in services.
Systems that will be temporarily unavailable include:
- All Internet traffic to and from the College
- Admissions Application
- Network Storage (nas drive)
- Surge Time
- Virtual Desktop
- Board of Trustees Meeting on Jan. 26
- ITS to test BOT Zoom meeting tools at 10 a.m. today
- Spring 2021 Student Activities Calendar is available
- Transfer Center schedules virtual college visits for January
- Tutoring Center & Math Center announce Spring services
- More Spring Semester student services schedules
- 1-20-21-- It's a palindrome!
- ITS will conduct another Zoom meeting test on Jan. 22
- Welcome to Spring Semester 2021
- Spring students can get loaner laptops & hotspots
- Mon. 1/25 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 1/26 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 1/26 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Wed. 1/27 - Virtual College Info Session
- Thu. 1/28 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 1/29 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 2/1 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 2/2 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 2/3 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 2/3 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree