More than half of in-person classes are "pivoting" for start of Spring Semester
Data from the Office of the Provost indicates that 56% of Spring Semester classes (324 of 578 course sections) scheduled for Clifton Campus in-person or hybrid delivery format have made changes to the format for the first two weeks of the semester.
The calculation of the percentage of course sections that "pivoted" does not include classes originally scheduled for Web format (fully online and asynchronous) or Live Web format (meets on scheduled days/times via a remote delivery tool such as Zoom or Blackboard Collaborate).
Adjustment methods for the start of Spring Semester include:
- Using Live Web delivery for all activities for one or two weeks.
- Using Live Web format for lectures but conducting lab activities in-person.
- Modifying lab activities so students attend class in-person for half of the lab time and work remotely for the other half.
- Providing students with the option to attend either in-person or remotely during the first two weeks.
- Providing asynchronous remote activities to be completed during the first one or two weeks.
At Middletown Campus, 13 of 15 (86%) of scheduled in-person classes have made some changes to the course delivery for the first two weeks of Spring Semester.
Provost Robbin Hoopes said, "The faculty, in collaboration with the Deans, considered every course individually to determine whether the course should remain face-to-face or pivot to online."
"They did this work quickly but carefully-- balancing safety with student learning outcomes. I applaud the care faculty and Deans took to strike the right balance."
Career Center offers Spring workshops, job info & more
The Cincinnati State Career Center (ATLC 215) is open in Spring Semester to assist current and prospective students with career exploration, job search skills, networking skills, and referrals to employment.
Office hours for Spring are:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesday - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Thursday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Students can make an appointment via Starfish under My Success Network or by calling (513) 569-4242.
Career Center services focus on the Career Planning Process, including:
- Exploring Careers
- Making Decisions and Creating a Career Plan
- Gaining Relevant Experience
- Marketing Yourself
Virtual Career Center workshops are open to all current students.
To register, students should use CState Career Link (https://cincinnatistate-csm.symplicity.com/students) or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
January workshops include:
- Wednesday, Jan. 19, 6 p.m. - Moving Beyond Undecided (Career Exploration)
- Thursday, Jan. 20, 5 p.m. - Alumni Series: The New Grad Job Search
- Friday, Jan. 21, noon - Resume Workshop
- Tuesday, Jan. 25, 5 p.m. - Job Search Strategy for International Students (hosted by Interstride)
- Friday, Jan. 28, noon - Interview Workshop
View the full calendar of Spring Career Center events at https://www.cincinnatistate.edu/career-center-events.
Also, several employers will host virtual information sessions about job opportunities.
Students should register using CState Career Link (https://cincinnatistate-csm.symplicity.com/students). To receive a link to the recorded information session, send an email message to email@example.com.
- Monday, Jan. 24, 11 a.m. – Kroger Pharmacy - positions for Pharmacy Technicians
- Tuesday, Jan. 25, 11 a.m. – Di Tran Steel - manufacturing job opportunities
- Wednesday, Jan. 26, 11 a.m. – AccuracyNow - positions for bilingual students eligible to work in the U.S. Flexible work schedules.
- Thursday, Jan. 27, 11 a.m. – Peerro - a new platform for connecting to entry-level job opportunities in greater Cincinnati
Work-Study Employment Workshop & Job Fair in February
Cincinnati State's Student Activities Office, the Financial Aid Office, and the Career Center are hosting an Employment Workshop and a Job Fair for students interested in Federal Work-Study employment opportunities.
The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time jobs to help qualified students earn money while attending classes. Students can apply for jobs to help offset the cost of their education.
- Qualifying for the Work-Study Program depends on the student’s level of financial need.
- Pay rates and rules are the same for Work-Study workers and other student workers.
Workshops on Feb. 9 followed by Job Fair on Feb. 16
Students can attend the Work-Study Employment Workshop on Wednesday, Feb. 9, either in-person or virtually.
- In-person: Cincinnati State Career Center (ATLC 215) - Feb. 9, noon to 12:50 p.m.
- Virtual: Feb. 9, 5 to 5:50 p.m. - Students should register in advance using this link: https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYqd-CrrDwpEtzmqHxqyIpGkOCI3Tn5-dp_
On Wednesday, Feb. 16, students can attend the in-person Work-Study Job Fair to learn about open Federal Work Study positions on campus.
- The In-person Job Fair takes place Feb. 16 from 10 a.m. to noon in the ATLC First Floor Lounge
College offices that would like to reserve a table at the Job Fair should submit this eForm: https://forms.office.com/r/5w3MyaG2kj
Writing Center offers Spring in-person & virtual services
Starting Monday, Jan. 24, the Clifton Campus Writing Center will offer in-person and virtual support for students who need assistance with written assignments for any Spring Semester class.
The Writing Center in Main Building Room 235 will be open for walk-in and by-appointment services on Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Appointments are not required for in-person help. Service is provided on first-come, first-served basis.
- To ensure COVID precautions are observed, no more than eight occupants, including tutors, will be allowed in the room at the same time.
To make an appointment for virtual tutoring, students should go to your Starfish Success Network and find the Writing Center.
Writing Center Virtual Support is available:
- Monday through Thursday - 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday - 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
ITS Helpdesk shares Spring Semester service hours
IT Services Helpdesk access during Spring Semester 2022 includes:
- In-person Walk-up Window (Main 349) - available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Phone Support (513-569-1234, option 1) - available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Open Lab (ATLC 316) - available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Equipment pick up for the Student Technology Loaner Program (laptop computers and/or Wi-fi hotspots) - available in ATLC 315 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Loaner equipment must be requested in advance of pick-up by logging into MyCState and completing the "Student Technology Loaner Program" eForm (https://web3.cincinnatistate.edu/eforms/eform.aspx?form_id=2055)
Registration deadline for series on Inclusive Higher Ed is Jan. 21
The Greater Cincinnati Collegiate Connection (GC3) is offering a 5-part interactive workshop series on "Equitable and Inclusive Higher Education: Strategies for Practice," starting Jan. 26.
Participants will learn how to become "more equitable and inclusive professionals in higher education settings."
All sessions will be held via Zoom on Wednesdays from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
- The registration deadline for the 5-session series is Friday, Jan. 21, at 5 p.m..
- The registration deadline for each individual session is 5 p.m. on the Friday prior to the date the session is offered.
- Session #1: Self Awareness - Jan. 26
- Session #2: Inclusive Pedagogy - Feb. 2
- Session #3: Inclusive Curriculum - Feb. 23
- Session #4: Inclusive Assessment - Mar. 30
- Session #5: Resilience for DEI Work - Apr. 13
- Click for more information about each session and to register.
The cost is $25/session or $100 for the series, and attendees earn 1.5 CEU's per session..
- Common Time presentations posted on PACE Results and Pres. Posey Social Media
- Career Closet is open in Summer by appointment
- Today is the deadline for FY22 purchase orders; P-Card deadline is May 21
- Online Learning Support for May 16-19 offers Blackboard 101 & Bb Office Hours
- I-75 / I-74 Construction Update - May 16-18
- I-75 / I-74 Construction Update - May 13-16
- Faculty member received award from professional surveyors organization
- CS volunteers for Great Parks clean up were featured on WCPO
- It's lucky 13 day
- Financial Aid Office will be closed on May 23