Janet Schlaak is new Assoc. Dean in Humanities & Sciences
Janet Schlaak, a faculty member in the Cincinnati State Math Department for the past 11 years, is now an Associate Dean in the Humanities & Sciences Division.
Janet started her role as Associate Dean on Aug. 30, following the retirement of former Associate Dean Dr. Shirley Piazza.
Janet served as a CState department chair for six years, first in the Academic Foundations Math Department and later in the Math Department. Prior to joining Cincinnati State, she taught at UC Clermont College (11 years) and Wilmington College (7 years).
She has been nominated twice for the House/Bruckmann Faculty Excellence Award at Cincinnati State and was nominated four times for teaching awards at UC Clermont and Wilmington.
Janet developed the original version of the transfer module (now Ohio Transfer 36) course MAT 105, Quantitative Reasoning, and cotinues to serve as a co-developer and coordinator of MAT 105 and MAT 105A, Intensive Quantitative Reasoning.
- As a member of the College's Completion Plan Steering Council, Janet helped develop the 2014, 2016, and 2018 completion plans.
- She was part of the Cincinnati State Student Success Leadership Institute team from 2015-2019 and will be rejoining that group this year.
- Janet also was part of WILD, the Women’s Institute for Leadership Development, in 2019.
- In addition, Janet has served on numerous College committees, including the Tenure Committee, Academic Calendar Committee, Marketing and Enrollment Response Team, and the Faculty Excellence Task Force.
Outside of work, Janet enjoys spending time with her family and pets. She is proud to say, "Both of my children attended Cincinnati State, and then transferred to four-year colleges-- one has already graduated and the other will graduate next spring."
Special Board of Trustees meeting on Sep. 9
The Cincinnati State Board of Trustees will hold a special meeting on Thursday, Sep. 9, 2021, starting at 4 p.m., in Main 180 on Clifton Campus.
The Board meeting is open to the public.
- Those attending in person must follow current College safety protocols.
- Note that Main 180 is a small room so maintaining distancing may limit the in-person audience size.
The Special Board meeting also will be available on Zoom at this link: https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/j/85892743109?pwd=WFc1aUorV25Wd3VnRGNRUXNwR3FrZz09
- Meeting ID: 858 9274 3109
- Passcode: 616684
The meeting agenda is:
- Call to Order
- Sunshine Law Compliance Announcement
- Roll Call
- Consideration of Items for Possible Addition to the Agenda
- AAUP Unit 1 Contract Ratification
- IUOE Unit 1 Contract Ratification
- Vendor Contract Approval
- Old Business
- New Business
The next regular meeting of the Board of Trustees is scheduled for Sep. 28, 2021, at 3:45 p.m., at the Butler Tech Bioscience Building (8450 Capstone Blvd., West Chester OH 45069)
Math Center, Tutoring Center, & Writing Center announce Fall services
Cincinnati State's academic support centers (Math Center, Tutoring Center, and Writing Center) are providing in-person and virtual services for Fall Semester students.
MATH CENTER (Main 228B) - provides help 7 days a week for students taking a variety of Math courses as well as Physics or Chemistry
- Click to download the Math Center Fall Semester Calendar that includes details of in-person and remote hours, and Zoom links for virtual tutors
TUTORING CENTER (Main 261) - provides help for students in Biology, Chemistry, Financial Accounting, and Computer Applications courses, and help with Study Skills. Tutoring is available Monday through Friday and at designated times on Sunday.
- Click to download the Tutoring Center Fall Semester Calendar that includes details of in-person and remote hours, and Zoom links for virtual tutors
WRITING CENTER (Main 235) - provides help Monday through Saturday for students in any class that requires writing assignments, not just English Composition classes.
To make an appointment for on-campus or online tutoring, students should go to the Writing Center in their Starfish Success Network.
- In-person services (walk-in and by-appointment): Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Virtual services:
- Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Co-op Orientation sessions start Sep. 9
Cincinnati State's Cooperative Education Program is hosting three virtual orientation sessions in September:
- Thursday, Sep. 9 at 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sep. 15 at noon
- Tuesday, Sep. 21 at 5 p.m.
Students enrolled in associate's degree and bachelor’s degree programs in Business Technologies, Engineering & Information Technologies, and Humanities & Sciences-- and who plan to participate in a co-op assignment during the next two semesters-- should attend an Orientation session.
During Orientation, students learn:
- requirements of the co-op program
- what qualifies as a co-op experience
- how to register for co-op courses
- other options to fulfill co-op credit requirements
To register for Co-op Orientation and get the Zoom virtual session link and password, students should visit Cincinnati State Career Link at https://cincinnatistate-csm.symplicity.com/students.
Students log in at Career Link using their Cincinnati State email address and password.
New edition of Student Resource Guide is available
The 4-page Resource Guide provides quick access to academic resources, student support programs, and other campus information.
- Click the image above to download a copy of the latest Guide.
If you have updates or suggestions for the next edition of the Resource Guide, contact Soni Hill, Senior Director of Student Success & Student Development (email@example.com).
The Resource Guide electronic file also is stored in the Marketing section of the College intranet.
- Go to Marketing & Communications > Branding Resources > Folder 6 "Helpful Resources" > Student Resource Guide
- CState volunteers helped Great Parks with seed harvesting
- It's Medical Ultrasound Awareness Month
- Welcome, BTD Associate Dean Audrey Woods
- Overlook hot lunch specials - Oct. 18-22
- College Drive closed today (and here's why)
- I-75 / I-74 Weekend Construction Update
- Joint Community Campaign wraps up on Oct. 15 with prize drawing
- Reminder: College Drive closed on Oct. 15
- Cybersecurity Awareness Month tips: How to Fight Phishing
- BMI and SGA host Cinti City Council candidate forum on Oct. 14
- Mon. 10/18 - Common Time: Division Meetings
- Tue. 10/19 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/19 - Women's Entrepreneurship Week Panel Discussion
- Thu. 10/21 - Surge Pantry Farmer's Market
- Thu. 10/21 - Women's Entrepreneurship Week Panel Discussion
- Tue. 10/26 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/26 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 11/2 - Provost's Academic Update
- Thu. 11/4 - Surge Pantry Farmer's Market
- Tue. 11/9 - Provost's Academic Update