Employment help for students with disabilities is topic of Mar. 3 webinar
Cincinnati State's Career Center will host a virtual information session on Wednesday, Mar. 3, starting at noon, to introduce the College's partnership with Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (OOD).
OOD is a state agency dedicated to helping people with disabilities to "achieve quality employment and support the desire for independence."
The College's new partnership will give CState students with disabilities-- even if they are not Ohio residents-- access to the services provided by OOD.
- The Information Session speaker is Bill Reese from OOD, who will provide an overview of "College to Career" services available to Cincinnati State students with disabilities, including help with career development, assistance finding internships and jobs, and more.
- The session is open to students as well as faculty and staff members.
OOD services are available to students attending an Ohio college or university, even if Ohio is not the student's home state.
- Register for the OOD Information Session on Mar. 3 at https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Aow3g5QES-6RLHkmdDfZaA
- Or send an email message to Career Center Manager Kelly Harper (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve your spot
Welcome, new BTD faculty members
The Business Technologies Division welcomed two new tenure-track faculty members at the start of Spring Semester.
Donna von Deylen is now a tenure-track instructor in Accounting after serving at Cincinnati State for over 20 years as an adjunct instructor and for the past two years as an Annually Contracted Instructor.
Donna has a bachelor's degree in Accounting from Ferris State University and an MBA from Western Michigan University.
Throughout graduate school, Donna worked for a not-for-profit organization as an accounting specialist. After graduation, she was employed as a Branch Manager in the banking industry in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Later, she left the banking industry and joined a rehabilitation company doing contract negotiations and business development.
Donna and her husband moved to Cincinnati in 1998 and she started teaching at Southern Ohio College.
Donna said, "My enjoyment from assisting others with their educational goals led me to accept an adjunct faculty position at Cincinnati State. Now, with many years of experience, I can say I truly enjoy my time spent in education."
Donna and her husband have two daughters and two dogs and recently become empty nesters.
Greg M. Skibinski is a long time Executive Chef who has joined the Culinary Arts/Midwest Culinary Institute faculty.
Greg earned an associate's degree in Hospitality Management from Ivy Tech State College and a bachelor's degree in Applied Management from Ohio University.
He also completed a three-year Hospitality Apprenticeship program from the American Culinary Federation (ACF) through coursework at Columbus State Community College.
Prior to joining Cincinnati State, Greg was the Executive Chef and Director of Operations for Coldstream Country Club for 12 years, and at Western Hills Country Club for 11 years.
Greg is an American Culinary Federation Certified Executive Chef and he has earned 28 gold medals in culinary competitions, as well as a gold medal and best-in-show from the Hotelympia international competition.
He has been selected as Local ACF Chef of the year twice, and was awarded the National ACF Presidential Medallion.
Greg has coached two junior culinary competition teams that reached the regional finals, and he has served as a judge for regional, national, and international competitions representing the ACF and the United States.
Greg said, "I'm very excited about my new role, and I feel very lucky to work with such a great group of Culinary professionals at Cincinnati State."
Greg and his wife are parents to "two wonderful girls"-- Ellie Mae, age 5, and Briella Rose, who is 4 months old.
Transfer Center provides March virtual visit schedule
The Cincinnati State Transfer Center has released the March 2021 calendar of virtual visits with representatives of four-year colleges and universities. (Scroll down to see the link to the calendar.)
The Calendar includes several clickable links:
- Some events with visiting colleges and universities require pre-registration, and some require students to make an individual appointment.
- Please click links for Register or Virtual Visit as needed.
The Transfer Center continues to offer Virtual Open Office Hours on Mondays and Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to noon via Blackboard Collaborate. To "stop by" for office hours, just click this link: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/abb4e62b191745c5a5ef0fc259e17d71.
Dr. Myshamil Walker, the Transfer Center Coordinator, encourages faculty members and advisors to share information with students who may be interested in transfer to a four-year school after completing their Cincinnati State degree.
To view the Transfer Center schedule for March, click the link below.
Condolences to Krystal Wright
Marion "Joe" Dansberry, the father of Krystal Wright (Executive Assistant for the Workforce Development Center) died Jan. 9, 2021.
Services with military honors were held Feb. 19, 2021 at the Dayton National Cemetery.
Messages of condolence may be posted at the Herr-Riggs Funeral Home website.
Online Learning Support for Mar. 1-5
The Office of Online Learning is offering several opportunities this week for faculty seeking:
- assistance using Blackboard
- help in improving your online courses
Other assistance is available by appointment.
For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard.
- Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.
- If you are a new instructor and need access to this resource site, please contact a division administrator.
Blackboard Open Office Hours/Help with Blackboard Tools are facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey (via Zoom)
- Open Office Hours can be used to get help with any element of Blackboard, but these are not in-depth training sessions.
- Days/times are below. Join a session via Zoom at https://cincinnatistate- edu.zoom.us/j/81060585299?pwd=QVRaMDJBcWNEcUxMeE4vQnZtTnU3QT09
Meeting ID: 810 6058 5299 | Passcode: 672017
- Monday, Mar. 1 - 10-11 a.m.
- Monday, Mar. 1 - 1-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Mar. 2 - 11 a.m.-noon
- Thursday, Mar. 4 - 8-9 a.m.
- Friday, Mar. 5 - 9-10 a.m. (session canceled)
Online Course Delivery: Improving the Student Experience is facilitated by Dr. Jon McKamey (via Zoom)
- Join a session to review specific elements of your Web, LiveWeb, or Web Hybrid course that could be refined to improve the experience for your students. Discussion topics will flow from participant questions and needs.
- Days/times are below. Join a session via Zoom at https://cincinnatistate-edu.zoom.us/j/83285934234?pwd=S3RkME55eFZ2UEhDckJ0SFM4VHJHZz09
Meeting ID: 832 8593 4234 | Passcode: 881480
- Tuesday, Mar. 2 - 2-3 p.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 3 - 9-10 a.m.
- Wednesday, Mar. 3 - 1-2 p.m.
- Thursday, Mar. 4 - 1-2 p.m.
- Friday, Mar. 5 - 11 a.m.-noon
Faculty members are encouraged to sign up for the self-paced, 6-module online course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, facilitated by Jon. Faculty can enroll in the course at any time. See the weekly PDF training schedule for more information.
Paul DeNu from the Office of Online Learning is available by appointment to provide Zoom training and/or troubleshooting.
Paul is also available by appointment to help with individual concerns related to Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O-Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and other Blackboard assistance.
To schedule an appointment, send email to Paul at email@example.com
Julee Johns, Director of the Center for Teaching and Learning, is available by appointment.
Call (513) 569-1724 to leave a message for a return call.
Overlook specials of the week include Nacho Bar & Pasta Bar
- Wednesday, Mar. 3 - "Create your own Nacho" Bar - $8
- Thursday, Mar. 4 - "Create your own Pasta" Bar - $8
- The Hot Sandwich special for the full week is a Meatball Sub - $6
The Overlook Cafe on Clifton Campus is open 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday through Thursday.
- CState Horticulture students competed in national landscape event
- Common Time on Apr. 19 has two options
- Benefits Open Enrollment is Apr. 19 to Apr. 30
- Surge Madness brackets winners collected prizes
- ArtsWave Community Campaign for 2021 begins
- April Common Time sessions include welcome party for new employees
- Nominations sought for 2021 Distinguished Alumni Award
- Clean up your mess in Main on Surge Purge days
- Library provides research help for students (updated)
- WDC HazMat training is recognized by Ohio Public Utilities Commission
- Mon. 4/19 - Common Time: Academic Self-Study Update & Customer Service Training
- Tue. 4/20 - "Surge Purge" Main Bldg Clean-Up
- Tue. 4/20 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 4/20 - CCP Virtual Advising & Registration
- Wed. 4/21 - "Surge Purge" Main Bldg Clean-Up
- Wed. 4/21 - "Moving Beyond Undecided" Virtual Info Session
- Thu. 4/22 - "Surge Purge" Main Bldg Clean-Up
- Fri. 4/23 - "Surge Purge" Main Bldg Clean-Up
- Mon. 4/26 - Common Time: Recruitment Update & New Employee Welcome
- Tue. 4/27 - Provost's Academic Update