Students can use Financial Aid to purchase a computer (updated)
Students enrolled for Fall Semester 2020 (as well as those who were enrolled in Spring or Summer) received information on Friday, Aug. 7, about two options to obtain computer equipment:
- Purchase a “CState Recommended“ laptop at the College Bookstore (using financial aid funds, if qualified)
- Borrow a laptop computer and/or Wi-Fi hotspot from the College
Students can buy a laptop computer recommended for their major directly from the Cincinnati State Bookstore.
- More about recommended Dell laptops for each academic program is available at https://www.cincinnatistate.edu/cstate-recommended-laptop-computers
- Students enrolled in Audio/Video Production, Graphic Design, Graphic Imaging Technology, and Web & Multimedia Design can see recommended Apple computers on a different web page: https://www.cincinnatistate.edu/laptop-computer-requirement
Financial Aid Considerations (Updated):
- Students using financial aid to help pay for their Cincinnati State education may be able to use some funds to cover all or part of the cost of a laptop computer and required software (if applicable).
- Students using financial aid to purchase a computer immediately must buy a “CState Recommended” computer from the College Bookstore.
- Purchases can be made online, with arrangements for delivery to the student's address or pick-up at the Bookstore.
- Computers purchased using financial aid cannot be returned to the Bookstore for a refund unless the package is unopened.
- Students who wait to use their refund of "excess" financial aid can purchase a computer from any store/vendor.
- Fall Financial Aid refund checks will be mailed in mid-October.
- Students should talk to a Financial Aid advisor for more information.
Borrowing Laptops and Hotspots:
Fall Semester students can borrow a laptop computer and/or personal Wi-Fi “hotspot” from Cincinnati State at no cost, on a first come, first serve basis. Supplies are limited.
To borrow a laptop and/or hotspot, students must complete an eForm:
- First, log into MyCState/Blackboard.
- Then, click this link: COVID-19 Student Technology Loaner Program.
Online Learning workshops for Aug. 10-14 include "Best Practices in Virtual Learning" & other topics
Several training and consultation opportunities are available to faculty this week.
For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. (Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.)
The Center for Teaching and Learning is presenting a reprise of the series "Best Practices in Engaging Virtual Learning," starting today, Aug. 10, at 1 p.m.
When you register, you're signing up for three 1-hour sessions facilitated by Biology instructor Milene Donlin.
Sessions take place Aug. 10, 12, and 14 from 1 to 2:30 p.m. (And it's not too late to register.)
- In these collaborative webinars you'll learn to create comfortable and welcoming learning spaces for students in Blackboard, and get an introduction to applications that help students stay on task and promote learning in a virtual setting.
- To register, visit https://www.eventbrite.com/x/best-practices-in-engaging-virtual-learning-in-a-bb-world-intro-tickets-102803622402
Dr. Jon McKamey (Office of Online Learning) is continuing the workshop series "More than Remote Learning: Ensuring Quality in Online Course Design" (via Zoom).
- The focus in these workshops is online course design standards, not specific delivery modes or teaching methods.
- These workshops will help those who have not developed and/or taught fully online-delivered courses in the past, and those who are not familiar with Quality Matters Standards for online courses.
- Workshop dates are below. Zoom links are available in the "Remote Delivery Support Schedule" that can be downloaded from the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard.
Module 5 (Learning Activities and Learner Interaction) is scheduled for:
- Monday, Aug. 10 - 9-10 a.m. and 1-2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 11 - 5-6 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 13 - 8-9 a.m.
Module 6 (Course Technology) is scheduled for:
- Tuesday, Aug. 11 - 10-11 a.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 12 - 8-9 a.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 13 -11 a.m.-noon
- Friday, Aug. 14 - 10-11 a.m.
Additional Modules will be offered Aug. 17 through Aug. 21. More information is on page 2 of the PDF weekly schedule.
Jon also continues to monitor the course Teaching Online for Cincinnati State, which is ongoing and will continue to accept new enrollments in Fall Semester 2020. More information is on page 3 of the PDF weekly schedule.
Online Tech Support Help facilitated by Paul D. DeNu, Office of Online Learning, is available (via Collaborate) on days/times below, or by appointment (send email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Paul is available to assist with Collaborate, audio/video work, Screencast-O- Matic, closed captioning, accessibility, and other online learning concerns.
- Monday, Aug. 10 - 10:30-11 a.m.
- Tuesday, Aug. 11 - 10-10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, Aug. 12 - 11-11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 13 - 12:30-1 p.m.
- Friday, Aug. 14 - 10-10:30 a.m.
Bookstore offers extended hours starting Aug. 17
For the week of Aug. 10, the Cincinnati State Follett Bookstore will be open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. -- the same as other College in-person services.
- During the weeks of Aug. 17 and Aug. 24, the Bookstore will offer curbside delivery on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
For the latest information on Bookstore service hours, visit https://www.bkstr.com/cincinnatistatetechstore/store-hours.
Communicate with WDC via email while campus water leak is repaired
The Workforce Development Center/Evendale Campus building is being repaired this week as a result of damages caused by a water leak.
- General inquiries from the public should be directed to the email address askWDC@cincinnatistate.edu
- These inquiries will be shared with the appropriate WDC Business Manager
WDC employees are monitoring their campus email and phone messages remotely.
President's Aug. 7 College Update Recording & Slides posted
If you missed the College Update meeting for employees on Aug. 7, or want to review the contents, the slides and the recording are available.
The meeting speakers were Dr. Monica Posey and the members of the College's Executive Team.
- Click here to download the meeting slides
- Click here to listen to the recorded meeting (1 hr, 28 min.) - You'll need to enter the password wNehRPn6
- The meeting recording also is saved as an mp4 file that will be posted on the College intranet. Go to Human Resources > Employee Meetings.
Provost's Update sessions continue
Provost Robbin Hoopes is continuing to host a weekly Academic Update, open to all College employees who wish to attend, on Tuesdays from 8:30 to 9 a.m.
The agenda for each session is a 15-minute update, followed by time for questions and answers.
- Zoom Meeting link: https://zoom.us/j/98969134747?pwd=TThHT1pVQzJNSjZ1MTNtbXZJekFNUT09
- Meeting ID: 989 6913 4747
- Password: 1s6pXW
- Chef Yek will lead "cook-along" event for Cincy Museum Center on Oct. 23
- Online Learning Support for Oct. 19-23
- Main Building Recovery Project - Progress Report for Oct. 19
- Writing Center expands remote tutoring on weekends
- College Catalog for 2020-21 is available as printable PDF
- Faculty Forum on Oct. 19 promotes connections and shared learning
- Webinar on Oct. 20 offers advice on leading online discussions
- Nominations for House/Bruckmann award & Adjunct Excellence award are open
- Kate's Catering at the Overlook adds soup to the menu
- Faculty: Look for Fall Starfish Progress Surveys
- - Virtual College Info Session
- - "Moving Beyond Undecided" Virtual Info Session
- Thu. 10/22 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/23 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/26 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 10/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/27 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 10/27 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 10/28 - Virtual College Info Session
- Thu. 10/29 - Virtual College Info Session