Students give positive feedback for "New Student Orientation" online
About 575 Cincinnati State students have started using the "New Student Orientation" online resource since its launch three weeks ago on July 13.
As of July 30, nearly 350 students had completed the orientation, and another 225 were in process of completing the comprehensive, fully online experience.
Data collected from the post-orientation survey as of July 30 summarized student responses to the orientation:
- As a result of completing this orientation, I have a better idea of the departments I need to contact if I need assistance - Strongly Agree/Agree: 97%
- In my opinion the orientation was… (too long, too short, just right) - Just Right: 90%
- After taking the orientation, I would say that it was… - High Value: the information provided was very helpful: 84%
- The Cincinnati State orientation was a good first step in starting a successful college experience - Strongly Agree/Agree: 99%
- Overall, how satisfied were you with the online orientation? - Very Satisfied/Satisfied: 99%
The Online Orientation is available to students by clicking the “New Student Orientation” tab in MyCState/Blackboard.
- Students who begin the orientation receive email reminders if they don't finish the 1-hour activity in one sitting.
- Students who finish the orientation receive a Certificate of Completion.
Faculty and staff members can preview New Student Orientation using the link located in the MyCState/Blackboard “Tools and Applications” tab.
- After you click the link for "New Student Orientation" in the "Tools and Applications" sub-section, you'll need to create an account in order to view the orientation information that admitted students will see.
The online orientation is accessible on a variety of browsers, computers, and mobile devices, and is ADA-compliant.
For more about the content and development of the Online New Student Orientation, see the Daily News article from July 13.
Questions and/or updates for the orientation content can be sent to email@example.com.
(Screen capture photo provided by Lisa Lucas)
Webinar offers advice to new online instructors
Many organizations are continuing to offer programs that may be of interest to Cincinnati State faculty and other members of the College community.
Magna Publications, a company that supports professional development for higher education faculty and academic leaders, is offering a free webinar titled “Help! I’m Moving My Course Online!” – Practical Advice for New Online Instructors."
The 1-hour webinar takes place Thursday, Aug. 13, at 2 p.m. (Eastern time).
Learning goals of the webinar include:
- Identify key ideas for moving a course online for the first time
- Discover important design concepts to aid in easier course delivery
- Develop a plan for moving your course online or refining a course you had to move online quickly in Spring 2020
The webinar leader, Dr. Wren A. Mills, is an assistant professor in the Organizational Leadership and Adult Education programs in the Educational Administration, Leadership, and Research Department at Western Kentucky University.
All registrants will receive supporting materials including downloadable PowerPoint presentations from the speaker and a written transcript.
- Chef Yek will lead "cook-along" event for Cincy Museum Center on Oct. 23
- Online Learning Support for Oct. 19-23
- Main Building Recovery Project - Progress Report for Oct. 19
- Writing Center expands remote tutoring on weekends
- College Catalog for 2020-21 is available as printable PDF
- Faculty Forum on Oct. 19 promotes connections and shared learning
- Webinar on Oct. 20 offers advice on leading online discussions
- Nominations for House/Bruckmann award & Adjunct Excellence award are open
- Kate's Catering at the Overlook adds soup to the menu
- Faculty: Look for Fall Starfish Progress Surveys
- - Virtual College Info Session
- - "Moving Beyond Undecided" Virtual Info Session
- Thu. 10/22 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 10/23 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/26 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 10/27 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 10/27 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 10/27 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 10/28 - Virtual College Info Session
- Thu. 10/29 - Virtual College Info Session