CState announces plans for Fall classes
On Tuesday, May 26, Cincinnati State's plans for Fall classes were announced to the public via a news release.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer and several local broadcast stations shared the announcement on Tuesday evening. (See the "In the News" section on the lower left for links to some of the media coverage.)
- President Monica Posey sent a copy of the announcement to all College employees via email about 5 p.m. on May 26.
The announcement states that the College will use a "3-point plan" for Fall, focused on safety, student success, and affordability.
In addition, the announcement emphasizes that Cincinnati State general education course credits are transferable to numerous four-year universities.
The announcement notes that Cincinnati State's affordable tuition makes the College "an attractive option for many current four-year university students or students graduating from high school who are considering a 'gap' year."
Some Fall courses will continue to be offered through high-quality remote (online) learning, using WEB (asynchronous online course) or "Live Web" format.
Live Web courses meet at scheduled days and times, but all course activities are conducted via a video conferencing tool such as Blackboard Collaborate.
Selected lab and skills courses (or portions of courses) will be offered in-person, with extensive safety guidelines in place.
- The in-person activities will be related to health care and other technical fields where "employers and sometimes government regulators demand that new hires possess advanced hands-on technical skills."
- All in-person lab and technical skills courses will be adjusted to ensure appropriate social distancing and other COVID-19 safety best practices developed by the CDC, state and local health authorities, and specific industries.
Program and department chairs are in process of consulting with other faculty and academic administrators to determine the format for each Fall course.
An updated Fall schedule showing the format for each course offering is expected to be available by mid-June.
The Workforce Development Center will resume operations in June. All in-person activities will include appropriate COVID-19 related safety measures, similar to those in effect at other Cincinnati State campuses.
Slides from May 26 BOT meeting are available
To download slides from the May 26, 2020, Board of Trustees meeting, click the links below.
The virtual Board meeting was recorded using Webex. A link will be shared when the recording is posted.
End-of-year purchasing deadlines announced
The College Finance and Accounting Department reminds College employees of purchasing deadlines related to the end of the fiscal year (on June 30, 2020).
The Finance and Accounting Team thanks you for meeting deadlines during this period of remote operations, to achieve optimal management of scarce resources.
Purchase requisitions must be submitted no later than Monday, June 1, 2020.
- All items requested must be received (or services completed) by June 30, 2020.
- Blue "receivers" forms must be signed and dated by June 30, 2020. Please email all blue receivers to email@example.com.
- If you are aware of purchases that cannot be submitted within this deadline, send a message to Chief Financial Officer Chris Calvert, and copy the appropriate Dean or Vice President.
P-Card transactions must be completed by May 30, 2020.
- No purchases may be made after May 30.
- if you have recurring expenses after May 30 that will require use of your P-Card, contact Ruth Miller in the Purchasing Department immediately.
Requests and recommendations for payment and Mileage and travel expense reports:
- All milage and travel expense reports must be completed by June 8, 2020.
- Since there is a moratorium on College-sponsored travel, no one should be submitting mileage and travel reports for June 2020. If you expect to have travel or mileage to report for June 2020, have the appropriate Dean or Vice President contact CFO Chris Calvert directly.
- Milage and travel expense incurred prior to June 1 will not be reimbursed if submitted after June 15, 2020.
E-forms for independent contractors working through June 1, 2020, must be completed by June 15, 2020.
- All e-forms submitted after June 15, 2020, will be allocated to the department’s Fiscal Year 2021 budget.
- Contractor services should be minimized during the month of June 2020. Please contact CFO Chris Calvert directly if you expect to use independent contractor services during the month of June.
Other purchasing transactions:
- Ongoing contractual and business obligations, including leases, software licenses, utilities, maintenance agreements and auxiliary services, will continue to be processed for payment.
- Ongoing federal/state grant operations will continue to be processed for payment.
- Purchase Orders for Fiscal Year 2021 may be submitted beginning June 1, 2020.
If you have questions about the purchasing policies or deadlines, contact Virginia Klein, Accounts Payable Manager, or contact Ruth Miller regarding PCard purchases and limits.
Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for May 27-29
Several training and consultation opportunities are available to faculty this week. For more information, visit the "Support/Training" section of the COVID-19 Faculty Resources site in Blackboard. (Look for this site near the bottom of your list of Blackboard courses.)
Office hours with Dr. Jon McKamey:
- Wednesday, May 27, 8-10 a.m.
- Thursday, May 28, 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
CTL Director Julee Johns is not holding office hours this week.
Training facilitated by Paul D. DeNu:
- Wednesday, May 27, 10:30-11 a.m. - Blackboard Collaborate Advanced Interactions
- Wednesday, May 27, 11 a.m.-noon - Accessible Materials and Courses
- Thursday, May 28, 11 a.m.-noon - Screencast-O-Matic Screen Recorder and Video Editor
- Friday, May 29, 10:30-11:30 a.m. - Intro to Blackboard Collaborate
- CState adjunct instructor is Kentucky "Elected official of the year"
- Condolences to Elliott Ruther
- Brewing Science shares opportunities with a new poster
- Drive-By Health Fair for students on Sep. 23 & 24
- Kate's Catering at the Overlook is back (with Mac 'n Cheese, too)
- Joint Community Campaign pledge drive begins today
- Board of Trustees Meeting on Sep. 22
- Online Learning Support for Sep. 21-25
- ODS is open for accommodated testing starting Sep. 21
- Environmental students went fishing for water quality knowledge
- Thu. 9/24 - Drive-by Student Health Fair
- Fri. 9/25 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 9/29 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 9/30 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/5 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree
- Wed. 10/7 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree
- Mon. 11/2 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree
- Wed. 11/4 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree
- Tue. 11/10 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Tue. 12/8 - CCP Virtual Orientation