Black History Month Celebration on Feb. 27 highlights College history
All members of the College community are invited to "Cincinnati State Celebrates Black History Month," on Thursday, Feb. 27, from noon to 2 p.m. in the Main Building Conference Center.
Posters and slide presentations will celebrate Cincinnati State's black history, highlighting African Americans who have made a significant contribution to our College and our students.
- This event uses an "open house" format, so you can stop by as your schedule permits to view the displays and enjoy light refreshments.
- In addition, a gift basket will be raffled, with proceeds going to the scholarships that honor faculty member Crystal Bossard and staff member Marcia Caulton.
- Gift basket raffle tickets will be sold throughout the event. The raffle drawing is at 2 p.m.
The Celebration is sponsored by the Student Activities Office.
NEW - Board of Trustees Meeting for Feb. 25 Canceled & will be rescheduled
The Cincinnati State Board of Trustees scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 25, 2020, has been canceled. An announcement will be posted when the meeting is rescheduled.
The meeting agenda is as follows:
Call To Order
Sunshine Law Compliance Announcement
- Approval of the Proceedings of the Regular Board Meeting of Jan. 28, 2020
- Consideration of Items for Possible Addition to Agenda
- Recognition of Accomplishments Reflective of the College Mission
- Consent Agenda for Recurring Items
- Personnel Reports
- Facilities & Capital Projects Reports
- Public Safety Monthly Incident Reports
- Workforce Development Report
- Finance Report
- Resolution on Health Insurance Purchasing Consortium
- Contract Approvals
- Resolution on College Credit Plus (CCP) Fee Waiver
- Academic Quality & Student Learning Updates
- Faculty Tenure Recommendations
Status of the College
- Student Engagement & Education / Student Activities Report
- Shared Governance / Faculty Senate Report
- President’s Report
Adjourn to Executive Session/Return from Executive Session
The next regular meeting of the Board of Trustees is scheduled for Mar. 24, 2020, at 3:45 p.m., at the Butler Tech Bioscience Center at 8450 Capstone Blvd., West Chester, OH 45069.
Career & Co-op Job Fair on Mar. 3
The Cincinnati State Career Center and the divisional Co-op programs will host the Spring Career and Co-op Job Fair on Tuesday, Mar. 3, from 1 to 3 p.m. in the Main Building Conference Center (Room 342) on Clifton Campus.
More than 30 employers are registered to attend. Students can learn more about the skills these employers are seeking at the online CState CareerLink https://cincinnatistate-csm.symplicity.com/students. (Students use their Cincinnati State email login and password.)
Tips for students on how to prepare and dress for the Job Fair are available at CState CareerLink and on the Career Center Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CStateCareerCenter.
Employers attending the Job Fair include:
- Abercrombie & Associates, Inc.
- Advics Manufacturing Ohio
- Bartlett Tree Experts
- Bayer Becker
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati
- Brandstetter and Carroll
- CBT Company
- Cincinnati Incorporated
- The Cincinnati Insurance Companies
- Cincinnati Museum Center
- Cincinnati Recreation Commission
- Cincinnati State Alumni Association
- Council On Aging of Southwestern Ohio
- Danis Building and Construction
- Delaware North Sportservice
- Exact Metrology
- FedEx Ground
- Great American Insurance Group
- Gus Perdikakis Associates Inc.
- Kinetic Vision
- Kings Island
- Lithko Restoration Technologies/LRT Restoration Technologies
- Macy's Credit and Customer Service
- Mazak CorporationMeyer Tool, Inc.
- Phillips, Edison, and Company
- Resurgent Capital Services
- Rough Brothers, Inc.
- Talbert House
- Trak Group
- United Parcel Service (UPS)
- US Census Bureau
Condolences to the family of Carolyn Robinson
Carolyn Robinson, a College employee for 35 years, died Feb. 19, 2020.
Carolyn retired in 2012 as the Academic Records Supervisor in the Office of the Registrar.
Carolyn's sister, Theresa Johnson, is the Cincinnati State Foundation Liaison in the Office of Advancement/Development.
- A Gathering will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 27, at Webb Noonan Kidd Funeral Home, Ross Avenue at South “D” Street, Hamilton, OH.
- A Memorial Service will follow at 7 p.m.
Messages of condolence may be posted at the Webb Noonan Kidd Funeral Home website.
Arts & Sciences students gained expert advice on job seeking
More than 30 students from the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs learned techniques for successful job-seeking from area human resources professionals, during an Employer Information Panel on Feb. 18.
The panel members included (photo above, from left):
- Falicia Grace, Vice President of Human Resources, Boys and Girls Club of Greater Cincinnati
- Debbie Hatke, Manager of Talent Acquisition, University of Cincinnati
- Monica Mehta, Senior Human Resources Consultant, Ultimus Fund Solutions
- Ahmyah Smith, Executive Director, Public Allies, Cincinnati.
The panel was made possible as part of a mini-grant from Ohio Means Internship and Co-op (OMIC), a program supported by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
Humanities & Sciences Co-op Coordinator Jayne Dressing said, "The mini-grants are intended to expose more students to diverse employment opportunities in the state of Ohio, and also promote the benefits of experiential learning."
Jayne said the panelists fielded questions from students and shared industry best practices for online applications, putting your best foot forward in an interview, and successfully following up and negotiating a job offer.
All students who attended the presentation received a Cincinnati State Cooperative Education padfolio and were registered to win a $25 Amazon gift card.
The employer panel is one of several events offered this semester to help prepare students for experiential learning and the Job Fair on Mar. 3.
On Mar. 24, students will be able to attend mock interviews with local employers, in Conference Center Room 342 from 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m.
(Photo provided by Jayne Dressing)
Bakery Hill celebrates "Fat Tuesday" with Mardi Gras treats
On Tuesday, Feb. 25, Bakery Hill is offering two Mardi Gras specials: King Cake slices or Mardi Gras Donuts are $1.00 each.
These special treats are available only this Tuesday-- so visit Bakery Hill, and let the good times (and good pastries) roll!
(Photo from www.sonshinekitchen.com)
- CCP Virtual Orientation sessons scheduled for July & August
- CARES Act emergency funds distributed to over 1400 students
- Free webinar available on "Higher Education in Times of Crisis"
- Wear a (Cincinnati State) mask
- Wilmington College Cincinnati has Virtual Info Session on July 9
- "Provost's Update" on July 7
- Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for July 6-10
- "Coffee with the Coordinators" offers advice for students
- Condolences to Mike DeVore
- College closed July 3 to celebrate Independence Day
- - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 7/10 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/13 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/13 - Job Hunting Workshop
- Mon. 7/13 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Tue. 7/14 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 7/14 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 7/15 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 7/15 - Coffee with the Coordinators: Problem Solving
- Wed. 7/15 - Career Center webinar - "Moving Beyond Undecided"