Surge Cupboard says thanks & seeks Spring volunteers
The Surge Cupboard will begin Spring Semester 2020 well stocked with food to share with eligible students, thanks to Fall donations and generous financial support for the food pantry from the College community.
Surge Cupboard Advisors Patty Edwards, Lachanna Jackson, and Cindy Sefton expressed gratitude for recent support efforts including:
- The Convocation food drive
- Divisional/Departmental food drives
- Food drives conducted by Honors students and members of student clubs
- The Jackie Norton "Birthday Bash" food drive
Cindy Sefton said, "Students who visit the Surge Cupboard often express their appreciation, and are informed that the pantry exists completely through the generosity of the College community."
- During Fall Semester 2019, a total of 206 visitors used the Food Pantry, and 153 students took advantage of monthly Farmer’s Markets offering fresh fruits and vegetables provided by the Freestore Foodbank.
- Registered students may use the Surge Cupboard once a month to obtain items at no cost, by showing their Surge Card.
The Food Pantry and the Farmer's Markets are assisted by student interns and volunteers from throughout the College.
If you would like to help with Surge Cupboard activities in Spring Semester, use this link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409084EACA728ABF94-spring1
- Spring Semester hours for the Food Pantry in Main 137 are Tuesdays from 1 to 3 p.m. and Wednesdays from 2 to 4 p.m. (when classes are in session).
- Spring Semester Farmer’s Markets will take place Feb. 6, Mar. 12, and Apr. 16 at "The Spot" near the College Bookstore. Farmer's Markets start at 11:30 a.m. and continue until all produce is gone.
Career Center can help recruit work-study students
College departments/divisions that plan to employ students in Federal Work-Study positions are encouraged to let the College's Career Center know about your needs.
Send an email message to Career Center Director Kelly Harper (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the position title and any special requirements that apply to the work-study position, such as hours needed.
Career Center staff can:
- Assist students with the Federal Work-Study application
- Help students determine a schedule of availability for a work-study position
- Help students connect with hiring managers (Typically, the Career Center encourages students to send their schedule of availability to the hiring manager)
Condolences to Elliott Ruther
Joanne Ruther, the mother of Chief of Advancement Elliott Ruther, died on Jan. 8, 2020.
- Visitation will be Tuesday, Jan. 14, from 5 to 8 p.m. at T. P. White & Sons, 2050 Beechmont Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45230.
- A Mass of Christian Burial will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 15, at 10:30 a.m. at Guardian Angels Catholic Church, 6539 Beechmont Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45230.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions made be made to Hope Emergency Program, P.O.Box 214, Fayetteville, OH 45118 https://hopeemergency.org.
Messages of condolence may be posted at the T.P. White & Sons Funeral Homes website.
Scholarship Application Workshops offered Jan. 13-15
On Jan. 13, 14, and 15, the Writing Center on Clifton Campus is offering assistance to students who are working on their scholarship applications.
Each workshop session covers the essentials of preparing a scholarship application and drafting a cover letter.
Appointments are not needed.
Three workshops are avaialable each day, in Main Building Room 237:
- 11 to 11:30 a.m.
- noon to 12:30 p.m.
- 5 to 5:30 p.m.
Applications for institutional scholarships are due Feb. 15, 2020.
Students are encouraged to submit their Institutional Scholarship application and complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for 2020-21 well before the deadline.
Academic Division office hours, Jan. 13-17
The academic division offices on Clifton Campus have these office hours for January days prior to the start of Spring semester classes:
Jan. 13-16 -
- BTD, EIT/CIT, and H&S - Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- HPS -
- Mon. & Thurs. Open 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tues. & Wed. Open 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Jan. 17 -
- BTD, EIT/CIT, and H&S - Open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- HPS - Open 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Office Hours for Enrollment Services, Overlook, Library, & ITS, Jan. 13-17
Enrollment Services, including the Welcome Center/Admissions, Financial Aid/Registrar's Office, the Testing Center, and the Career Center, are following standard operating hours:
- Monday through Thursday - 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday - 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Overlook Cafe is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Soups, salads, and grab-and-go items will be available.
- Specials from the grill and pizza stations may be options as well.
- Services and hours may change, depending on the volume of customers.
Bakery Hill is closed until Spring Semester classes begin on Jan. 21.
The Library is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The Library is closed on Saturday, Jan. 18.
Information Technology Services:
Information Technology Services are as follows:
- Help Desk Walk-up Service Window in the Main Building is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Help Desk Phone Support is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- The Open Lab in ATLC 316 is open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
IT Support Services are not available on Saturday, Jan. 18.
Daily News publishing schedule this week
New "issues" of Daily News will be published on Jan. 15 and/or Jan. 17, if there is new information to share.
Otherwise, the next edition of Daily News will be published Tuesday, Jan. 21, the first day of Spring Semester classes.
Send your news and announcements to email@example.com.
- "Apply4StudentRelief" web page is launched
- Spotlight on Service: Co-op student helps keep Rumpke running
- Support Group for parenting concerns offered to employees
- End-of-year purchasing deadlines announced
- Slides from May 26 BOT meeting are available
- Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for May 27-29
- CState announces plans for Fall classes
- No-show rules clarified for remote classes
- Board of Trustees Meeting on May 26
- Spotlight on Service: Co-op student helped Gorman Farm before and during pandemic
- Mon. 6/1 - First day of Summer Semester (10-week classes)
- Mon. 6/1 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Session
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Session
- Mon. 6/1 - College Info Evening Session
- Tue. 6/2 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 6/2 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 6/2 - College Info Session
- Wed. 6/3 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 6/4 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled