Ohio Kings basketball honors Cincinnati State & Dr. Posey on Dec. 14
The Ohio Kings professional basketball team invites all Cincinnati State students, employees, and friends to "Cincinnati State Night" on Saturday, Dec. 14, in the Gym on Clifton Campus-- which also serves as the Ohio Kings' home court.
"Cincinnati State Night" starts at 5 p.m. and includes a special tribute from the Ohio Kings to Cincinnati State President Monica Posey.
The gym will become the KINGDOM when the home team takes on the South Bend Monarchs, in the second game of the Kings' inaugural season.
- CState students with their Surge Card ID get a 50% discount on their ticket-- and can get a free haircut, too!
- All students and employees will receive a 10% discount on Ohio Kings merchandise.
For more information on tickets, visit https://www.theohiokings.com.
The Kings beat the Akron Aviators, 126-104, in front of a large crowd at the season's opening game on Dec. 7 (game photo at right).
The Ohio Kings are part of the re-established American Basketball Association (ABA), which has 70 teams and nearly 1,000 players competing at the professional level. Team members throughout the ABA include former NBA players, NCAA Division 1 and 2 players, McDonald's All American team members, and international athletes.
The ABA has unique rules that emphasize a faster-paced game, leading to higher scoring and more excitement for fans. These rules include:
- Guard-driven play resulting in 48 minutes of high-paced action.
- 7 seconds to get the ball across the half-court line (compared to 8 seconds in the NBA). If an ABA team does not get over the half-court line within 7 seconds, they must turn the ball over to the other team, and the 3D Light goes into effect.
- When the 3D Light is on, scoring changes so a 2 point shot is worth 3 points, a 3 point shot is worth 4 points, and a half-court shot counts for 5 points.
The Kings will play seven additional home games at Cincinnati State during their season that lasts from December 2019 through early March 2020.
(Photos provided by Ohio Kings)
Ohio Kings team members (from left): Mohamed Fall, Dwayne Bazemore, Zach McCorkle, Kelley Kirtz, Ra'Chaun Thompson, Mike Beaty, and Aaron Miller. (Not pictured: Geovonie McKnight, Kevin Lewis, Allante Gorham, Markus Montague, Ethan Bradshaw and Ki-Jana Upshaw)
WDC welcomed clients & community leaders at Open House
The Workforce Development Center greeted numerous corporate partners and community leaders during the "Thank You" Open House held Dec. 10.
The recognition event also provided a "thank you" to WDC's training program instructors.
Mayor Richard Finan of the Village of Evendale was part of the well-attended event (seen above with VP of Workforce Development Amy Waldbillig).
Client organizations represented included BasTech, MEYERTOOL, AeroBraze, REDI Cincinnati, Partners for a Competitive Workforce, and more.
Instructor Charles Faulkner (right) described a training program.
Cheryl Brackman and Amy Waldbillig welcomed Adam Jones, Director of Regional Talent for REDI Cincinnati.
Open House visitors enjoyed networking and learning about WDC services.
(Photos by Jackie Norton, Cincinnati State Marketing Director)
Please turn in your Surge Time on time
Because of the upcoming Winter Break, Surge Time reports for the pay period that ends Saturday, Dec. 21, must be submitted and approved no later than noon on Sunday, Dec. 22.
Failure to submit your time report on time could delay processing of the paycheck to be issued Friday, Dec. 27.
Any problems that may occur with Dec. 27 paychecks won't be resolved until Thursday, Jan. 2.
Your colleagues in the Payroll Office greatly appreciate your assistance in making their (and your) holiday season merry and bright.
Place your printing orders promptly to start Spring smoothly
Faculty and staff members: If you're planning a large printing/duplicating request for Spring semester using the print/duplication services from the University of Cincinnati, you're encouraged to submit your order as soon as possible.
UC's Spring semester begins Jan. 13, a week before Cincinnati State's Jan. 21 Spring start.
Waiting until January to place your order means you'll be competing with demands from UC's faculty (and other CState requests), and your order might be delayed.
UC print/duplication services are available through Dec. 20.
All UC services are closed Dec. 23 through Jan. 1 (the same days Cincinnati State is closed for Winter Break) and open again starting Jan. 2, 2020.
The Print/Duplication Request eform is available at https://web3.cincinnatistate.edu/eforms/eform.aspx?form_id=134.
If you have questions about print/duplication services, contact Tony Cowden in the Budget/Fiscal Planning Office (email@example.com).
Overlook Cafe open 10 to 2 on Dec. 16-20
The Overlook Cafe will be open daily from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. during the weeks of Dec. 16-20, Jan. 2-3, and Jan. 6-10.
- Soups, salads, and grab-and-go items will be available.
- Specials from the grill and pizza stations may be an option as well (but are still under discussion).
Services and hours may depend on the volume of customers... so remember, you've been warned.
Bakery Hill is closed Dec. 16-20 and Jan. 2-17.
Library hours adjusted for Dec. and Jan.
The Library will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. during the weeks of Dec. 16-20, Jan. 2-3, Jan. 6-10, and Jan. 13-17.
The Library is closed on Saturdays that include Dec. 21, Jan. 4, Jan. 11, and Jan. 18.
Enrollment Services hours adjusted for Dec. & early Jan.
During the week of Dec. 16-20, and on Jan. 2-3, Enrollment Services (including the Welcome Center/Admissions, Financial Aid/Registrar's Office, and the Testing Center) will be open:
- 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Thursday
- 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Fridays
On Jan. 2 and 3, Career Center services will be provided through the Welcome Center. The Career Center on the ATLC 2nd floor will be closed those days.
Enrollment Services offices will return to standard operating hours on Monday, Jan. 6.
- President Posey holds Listening Sessions on Jan. 15, 23, & 24
- Spring Student Activities Calendar is available
- Counselors from area schools & agencies attended ENGAGE event
- CState visited CATS high school students
- Story Quilt squares are due Jan. 21
- Career Center can help recruit work-study students
- Academic Division office hours, Jan. 13-17
- Surge Cupboard says thanks & seeks Spring volunteers
- Condolences to Elliott Ruther
- Daily News publishing schedule this week
- - No classes; offices open
- - College Info Session
- Sat. 1/18 - Ohio Kings basketball
- Mon. 1/20 - College closed - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Tue. 1/21 - First day of Spring Semester 2020
- Tue. 1/21 - College Info Session
- Thu. 1/23 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 1/24 - College Info Session
- Sat. 1/25 - Ohio Kings basketball
- Mon. 1/27 - HS Cincinnati Academic League Competition