Retirees were honored at Annual Holiday Lunch
A large gathering of retired College employees joined the current complement of faculty, staff, and administrators to celebrate at the Annual Holiday Lunch on Dec. 5.
President Monica Posey recognized each returning member of the College family with a 50th Anniversary pin. The group (seen above) included:
- Debra Barrett
- Stewart Bonem
- Eleanor Bonner
- Gene Breyer
- Jim Bronstrup
- Martha Brosz
- Tom Brougham
- Paul Callahan
- Dan Cayse
- Theresa Check
- Bob Coil
- Paul Davis
- Sharon Davis
- David Evans
- Bari Ewing
- Faye Gamstetter
- Peggy Harrier
- Rich Hendrix
- John Hurley
- Charlie Johnson
- Joanne Johnson
- John Kinsella
- Marianne Krismer
- Keith Mains
- Marianne McCabe
- Linda Meador
- Katye Mindhardt
- Verale Phillips
- Cathy Rahmes
- Joyce Rimlinger
- Joe Roberts
- Linda Schaffeld
- Linda Schulte
- Peggy Smith
- Annie Stark
- Tom Stark
- Diana Stephenson
- Ken Stoll
- Diane Stump
- Ed Swearingen
- Gary Walton
- Marylou Wetterer
- Kathy Wolfer
The always well-attended Holiday Lunch was sponsored this year by the Cincinnati State Foundation, as part of the celebration of the College's 50th anniversary.
Retired faculty member and administrator Dan Cayse, who currently serves as a member of the Foundation Board, gave brief remarks on behalf of the Foundation, noting that "every day at Cincinnati State was a joy."
Dan challenged other retirees to help "build and pepetuate our legacy" by considering support for the College in its 50th year through the recently-founded Heritage Society.
Dr. Posey described some of the College's accomplishments of the past year and a few of the plans for the near future.
Chief of Advancement Elliott Ruther highlighted key moments in the College's 50-year history and listed other events that will mark the 50th anniversary, culminating with a Gala in October 2020.
Elliott, along with Wayne Herbers, also donned "jolly elf" headgear while providing some holiday-themed sing-along entertainment.
View the photos below to relive a few more moments of holiday comfort and joy with colleagues.
(Photos by Amy Wagner, Cincinnati State Web/Digital Manager)
Brewing Jobs Fair welcomed industry professionals
The Brewing Science program recently hosted a panel of 10 industry professionals, including several CState graduates, who spoke with current students about jobs in the Brewing & Beverage industries.
The Dec. 9 event at the Summit Restaurant included:
- Ryan Blevins, Head Brewer at MadTree Brewing
- Katie Bryson, Assistant Marketing Director at Sonder Brewing*
- Brittany Frey, Brewer at MadTree Brewing*
- Lindsay Laubenstein, Hospitality Manager at OTR Social
- Chris Mitchell, Distiller at OTR Still House
- Ryan Osner, Fabrication/Welding Technician at Rhinegeist*
- Troy Sparks, Assistant Lab Technician at Rhinegeist*
- Mike Stokes, Owner of Cincy Brew Bus
- Mike Stuart, Director of HR for MadTree Brewing
- Steve Swartz, Operations Manager at OTR Still House
*Names with asterisks are graduates of the Brewing Science associate's degree program and/or the Brewing Sales and Marketing certificate program. Ryan Blevins is also a Cincinnati State graduate.
Brewing Science Program Chair Carla Gesell-Streeter said another job fair is planned for Spring, possibly in collaboration with other programs that are part of the Midwest Culinary Institute.
Carla said each of the panel members received a $25 gift certificate for a Summit Restaurant event, thanks to funding provided through a mini-grant from the OMIC (Ohio Means Internships and Co-op) program sponsored by the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
(Photo by Amy Wagner, Cincinnati State Web/Digital Manager)
Farmer's Market for students on Dec. 12
The final Farmer's Market of 2019 is Thursday, Dec. 12, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (or until all food is gone), in The Spot (ATLC 1st floor near the Bookstore) on Clifton Campus.
Free fresh fruits and vegetables will be available to currently-registered Cincinnati State students with a Surge Card ID.
Bags for transporting food are provided.
The Farmer's Market is part of a partnership between Cincinnati State's Surge Cupboard Food Pantry and the Freestore Foodbank, which delivers the fresh food each month at no cost to the College.
(Photo of Nov. 2019 Farmer's Market by Amy Wagner, Cincinnati State Web/Digital Manager)
Bakery Hill closes at 10 a.m. on Dec. 13
Bakery Hill will be open for Free Coffee Friday on Dec. 13, and then will close at 10 a.m.
Bakery Hill will remain closed during the week of Dec. 16-20, and during days in January when classes are not in session.
The Overlook Cafe will be open on days when classes are not in session, with limited service. More information will be available soon.
Spring Semester hours for the Overlook Cafe and Bakery Hill will be announced in January.
- CState adjunct instructor is Kentucky "Elected official of the year"
- Condolences to Elliott Ruther
- Brewing Science shares opportunities with a new poster
- Drive-By Health Fair for students on Sep. 23 & 24
- Kate's Catering at the Overlook is back (with Mac 'n Cheese, too)
- Joint Community Campaign pledge drive begins today
- Board of Trustees Meeting on Sep. 22
- Online Learning Support for Sep. 21-25
- ODS is open for accommodated testing starting Sep. 21
- Environmental students went fishing for water quality knowledge
- Thu. 9/24 - Drive-by Student Health Fair
- Fri. 9/25 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 9/29 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 9/30 - Virtual College Info Session
- Mon. 10/5 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree
- Wed. 10/7 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree
- Mon. 11/2 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree
- Wed. 11/4 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree
- Tue. 11/10 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Tue. 12/8 - CCP Virtual Orientation