Common Time on Nov. 4 highlights Aviation program's best practices
Common Time on Monday, Nov. 4, looks at the academic best practices being put to use by the Aviation Maintenance Technology (AMT) program.
The Aviation department offers an Associate of Applied Science degree and three certificate programs.
Common Time is from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Conference Center on Clifton Campus and is open to all College employees.
The Common Time program provides an opportunity to learn about methods used successfully by the AMT department to meet goals of the College’s Completion Plan, including:
- maximizing student credit hours completed each semester
- maintaining a high retention rate
- working effectively with a large number of technical program adjunct faculty
The AMT team from Harrison Campus, including full-time and adjunct instructional faculty, the co-op coordinator, and the lab center technician, will cover topics including:
- Methods for enrolling and retaining students
- Advising for success every semester
- Using block scheduling to assist co-op and graduate placement opportunities
- Identifying and working with a dozen adjunct instructors
- Developing and maintaining a robust Advisory Board
If you can't attend in person, you'll miss out on the snacks, but you can view the presentation via streaming video at https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/258b2de86b22451aa5514aabcb449cb6.
Happy Hour wraps up Internal Campaign Giving Challenge
All College employees are invited to Happy Hour today, Nov. 1, in the Summit Restaurant (2nd floor of ATLC), from 4 to 5 p.m.
Happy Hour will celebrate the conclusion of a successful Internal Annual Fund Giving Campaign, and the final raffle drawings-- two chances to win a pair of tickets to "Jingle Bell Rock" on Dec. 6-- will take place at Happy Hour.
So if you haven't yet joined the campaign, you can pick up and turn in a pledge card at Happy Hour, and then enjoy conversation with friends, while sipping a purchased beverage, and snacking on complimentary light refreshments.
Happy Hour follows the First Fridays "special edition" Story Quilt Workshop in the President's Dining Room.
Order your gourdulents before they're all gone
Wednesday, Nov. 6, is the deadline for ordering Thanksgiving "gourdulents" (a combination of a gourd and succulent plants) from the Cincinnati State Horticulture Club.
However, Greenhouse Manager Kelly Wanstrath advises you to place your order soon, because almost all available gourds have been claimed.
Also, the pick-up dates for pre-ordered gourdulents have changed to Tuesday, Nov. 19, and Wednesday, Nov. 20.
- Gourdulents are available in three sizes: Small ($10), Medium ($20 and $25), and Large ($30). (See varied sizes in photos above and below.)
- To place your order, send an email message to Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org). Let her know how many you want, and the sizes.
- The pick-up-and pay sales table will be on the Main Building First Floor (Clifton Campus), near the College Distribution Center (also known as "the Mailroom"), from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Nov. 19 and 20.
- No "Third Thursday" plant sale will be offered in November, but some plants will be on sale on Nov. 19 and 20.
- Some gourdulents can be picked up at the Greenhouse before Nov. 19. If you're interested in this option, let Kelly know.
Proceeds from Horticulture Club projects help students participate in the annual National Collegiate Landscape Competition.
Leadership Club assisted "Trunk or Treat" for foster children
Members of the Cincinnati State Leadership Club participated in Necco foster care agency's annual "Trunk or Treat" on Oct. 29 for children in the agency's care.
The college students decorated their car trunks with a Halloween theme and then handed out candy (and smiles) to about 100 foster children who "Trunk or Treated."
Participants (above, from left) included Leadership Club past President Sarah Wells, Talia Bailey, current club President Sierra Montgomery, Sarah's daughter Aria, club advisor Julie McLaughlin, and club Vice President Jose Villarreal.
Do you know these characters?
If you're new to the College, you may not be aware that Halloween is a verrrry big deal in the Center for Innovative Technologies (also known as the Engineering and Information Technologies Division, depending on which College resource you're perusing).
Above, Wayne Herbers (the all-time King of divisional Halloween costumes) celebrated the day along with Julie Rohling and Lexi Herbers (a student, a co-op employee, and yes, Wayne's daughter).
And if you stop by the CIT Office in Main 210 today, you might be able to partake of party leftovers... including the not-to-be-missed dead rat cake. (Seriously.)
Technology service disruption on Nov. 3
On Sunday, Nov. 3, between 7 a.m. and noon, the Information Technology Services staff will be performing system maintenance, and some services will not be available:
- Surge Time
IT Services will try to keep "down time" to a minimum, and appreciates your patience dealing with the temporary interruption.
- Career Center helps students prepare for Mar. 9 Job Fair
- Professor Emeritus recommendations due to Faculty Senate by Mar. 8
- National TRiO Day celebration includes CState program at Mt. Healthy H.S.
- February BOT meeting included report on plans for using new Federal Stimulus Funds
- National TRiO Day recognizes CState student success
- BOT awards tenure to five faculty members
- Nominations for Faculty Excellence Awards due Feb. 28
- College Update on Feb. 22 discussed planning for Fall 21 & other topics
- Online Learning Support for Feb. 22-26
- Condolences to Abbey Yee
- Mon. 3/1 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 3/2 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 3/3 - Virtual College Info Session
- Wed. 3/3 - Virtual College Info Session - Land Surveying Bachelor's Degree
- Thu. 3/4 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 3/5 - Virtual College Info Session
- Fri. 3/5 - Virtual College Info Session - Midwest Culinary Institute
- Mon. 3/8 - Virtual College Info Session - Culinary & Food Science Bachelor's Degree
- Mon. 3/8 - Virtual College Info Session
- Tue. 3/9 - Provost's Academic Update