Common Time Oct. 7 is workshop on "Building Community through Engaged Learning"
Krista Taylor, the assistant principal of Mercy Montessori School in Cincinnati, will facilitate a workshop on "Building Community through Engaged Learning" during Common Time on Monday, Oct. 7.
Common Time takes place from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Conference Center on Clifton Campus, and is open to all employees.
The Cincinnati State AAUP Chapter is hosting the workshop.
Krista led a similar workshop during the Center for Teaching & Learning Symposium in August.
- The workshop focuses on student-centered, collaborative learning strategies that provide opportunities for teachers and students to learn about each other, hear alternate perspectives, and challenge one another to think more deeply-- while simultaneously creating a sense of belonging.
- Krista says, "Learning is a courageous act. Students feel safe to take risks when they are part of a psychologically safe learning environment, where they believe they belong. This safety is constructed when we engage and interact with one another."
Previously, Krista worked as an intervention specialist/co-teacher at Gamble Montessori. In 2015 she earned regional acclaim when, after being awarded the Hawkins Educator of the Year award for Cincinnati Public Schools, she gave her entire $10,000 winnings to the Gamble Foundation to assist students in attending field experiences.
Her professional experience includes work as an instructor, intervention specialist, and consultant for learning programs, and she is the co-author of the book Angels and Superheroes: Compassionate Educators in an Era of School Accountability.
Because of the interactive elements of the workshop, this Common Time session will not be offered via streaming media.
Reminder: Employee Flu Shot Clinic is Oct. 7
The Employee Flu Shot Clinic will take place Monday, Oct. 7, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., in Conference Center Room 342 on Clifton Campus.
Employees should bring your UMR insurance card in order to receive a free flu shot, administered by Walgreen's.
Employees who do not carry the College’s UMR health insurance may get a flu shot by paying $30 at the Oct. 7 Flu Shot Clinic. Payment may be cash or check; credit cards will not be accepted.
If you have questions, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transfer Center provides October calendar
The Cincinnati State Transfer Center has released the October calendar of visits from representatives of four-year colleges and universities.
Students who are thinking about transfer to a bachelor's degree program after graduating from CState are encouraged to meet with advisors from visiting schools to get more information about opportunities and requirements.
No appointment is needed; just stop by the Transfer Center in ATLC Room 221 on Clifton Campus, near Bakery Hill.
The Transfer Center is open on Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To view the Transfer Center visitor schedule for October, click the link below.
Condolences to Ruth Kirtley
Condolences to Ruth Kirtley, the College's Switchboard Operator, on the passing of her aunt, Magdaline Kirtley, and her cousin, Naomi Thompson.
Services for Magdaline Kirtley took place Sep. 28 and services for Naomi Thompson will be held on Saturday, Oct. 5. Arrangements are being handled by Preston Charles Funeral Home.
Black Male Initiative sponsors October fundraiser to fight cancer
October is Cancer Awareness Month and the Cincinnati State Black Male Initiative (BMI) is hosting their second annual Cancer Awareness Fundraiser throughout the month.
Last year, BMI donated $300 to the University of Cincinnati's Barrett Center for Cancer Research, as seen in the photo above. BMI advisor Bryan Dell (center) presented the donation to (from left) Andria Gray, Emily Elfers, Neil Frankl, and Dr. Nilesh Patil.
BMI will have a table near the Overlook Cafe each Monday and Tuesday in October, from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., and the group hopes to surpass last year's fundraising efforts.
You can support the project through the purchase of BMI attire, or if you wish to donate by check, make your contribution to "Black Male Initiative Cancer Awareness Fundraiser."
If you have questions, please contact Bryan at 569-4762.
Reminder: How to recycle used toner cartridges
If you're the person in your division/department office on Clifton Campus in charge of replacing toner cartridges in office copiers, the Information Technology Services department has some reminders to share.
Recycling used toner cartridges
- When you replace a toner cartridge, please place the used cartridge inside the box the new one came in.
- Take all used consumables (toner cartridges, drums, fusers, water bottle containers, etc.) to the Mailroom on the first floor of Main Building. The Mailroom staff will place the used items in Eco Boxes to return to Xerox.
- Remember, used items must be boxed or bagged before they can be placed in the Eco Boxes.
- If you wish, you can order your own Eco Boxes. Visit https://www.xerox.com/perl-bin/product.pl?mode=recycling&XOGlang=en_US&referer=xrx to learn more about return services for toners and parts using Eco Box Kits.
Ordering toner or supplies
- If you need to order toner or supplies (such as staples), call ComDoc Supply Solutions Team at (800) 321-4846, option 2.
- Remember that as part of the College's contract with ComDoc, the Xerox devices are set to auto-order toner when the supply in the device is low.
If you have questions, call the ITS Helpdesk at 569-1234, option 1.
Thank you for helping the College to recycle responsibly.
- By the way, it's U.S. Census Day!
- Career Center offers Employment Webinar on Apr. 2
- Spotlight on Service: Russ Campbell
- ... And received thank yous for the donations
- CState donated more than $8,000 of protective medical gear for health care workers fighting COVID-19
- ... And CState received donations, too
- Send your "Spotlight on Service" stories to Daily News
- Faculty Remote Delivery Support schedule is posted in Blackboard
- Cinti Metro suspends fares and changes schedules
- Counseling Services expands connections to students
- - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 4/3 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 4/6 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 4/7 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 4/8 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 4/9 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 4/10 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 4/13 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 4/14 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 4/15 - All Meetings/Events postponed or canceled