Common Time on Sep. 9 examines College's Strategic Plan
During Common Time on Monday, Sep. 9, President Monica Posey will review and seek feedback for the College's Strategic Plan 2025.
Dr. Posey will share a draft of the new Strategic Plan, which is intended to build on College strengths and address challenges in an aggressive and externally-focused manner.
Common Time participants will have an opportunity to provide feedback for the Strategic Plan through small group interaction.
Common Time takes place from 3 to 4:30 p.m. in the Conference Center on Clifton Campus, and is open to all employees.
For those who can't attend in person, Common Time will be available on streaming media via Blackboard Collaborate: https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/c07d40d563e9464aa2675f9d549d80dc.
(Connect to Blackboard Collaborate using Chrome, Firefox, or Safari browser-- Internet Explorer is not supported.)
Prior to the discussion of the Strategic Plan, Jules Shumate of the Cincinnati USA Regional Chamber will give a brief presentation about The Big College Event, which takes place Oct. 24, 2019, at the Duke Energy Convention Center.
This networking event gives area college and university students opportunities to learn more about jobs, internships, and social engagement projects in Greater Cincinnati.
First Fridays presentation & Employee Happy Hour today
All College employees are invited to enjoy a Happy Hour in the Summit Restaurant (2nd floor of ATLC), on Friday, Sep. 6, starting at 4 p.m.
Stop by for conversation with friends, while sipping a purchased beverage, and snacking on complimentary light refreshments.
The Happy Hour follows the First Fridays presentation by Maggie Oliveira (Dept. Chair, English as a Second Language) and Dr. Heather Hatchett (Dept. Co-Chair, Social/Behavioral Sciences), who will describe their experiences conducting a collaborative learning project for students enrolled in Psychology and English as a Second Language (ESL) classes.
- All College employees are welcome to attend the presentation, taking place from 3 to 4 p.m. in in ATLC 244, the President's Dining Room (rear portion of the Summit Restaurant on the ATLC 2nd floor).
The cross-disciplinary project carried out in Spring semester 2019 required student teams to conduct research on a social justice topic, and carry out interviews with subject matter experts.
Students had to collaborate throughout the semester to hone their research and language skills.
The culminating experience for students was a poster presentation to members of the College community.
Maggie and Heather are continuing the collaborative project this semester, with more sections of ESL and introductory psychology students. This semester's classes incorporate changes based on feedback from previous student and faculty participants.
The First Fridays Professional Development series is sponsored by the Faculty Senate's Professional Development Committee. Presentation topics cover varied information related to best practices, research, or key professional experiences in teaching and learning.
Sewer renovation project affects access to some of Lot C
On Wednesday, Sep. 11, the Metropolitan Sewer District will begin a large project to repair a 375-foot section of sewer pipe that is beneath Parking Lot C on Clifton Campus.
To ensure public safety and to give the repair crew access to manholes that lead to the sewer pipe, portions of Lot C-2 and Lot C-3 will be closed during the project (yellow highlighted areas of map above).
The target completion date for the project is Oct. 1.
The sewer restoration project is a trenchless operation, which means no digging is required. The crew will repair the underground sewer pipe and then spray the walls with concrete for reinforcement.
Career Coach training offered on Sep. 19
The Cincinnati State Career Center will offer training sessions for College faculty and staff members in use of Career Coach on Thursday, Sep. 19, at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., in ATLC 043 (the Culinary Demonstration Kitchen; enter on the first floor opposite the Bookstore).
To register for one of the training sessions, visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cincinnati-state-career-coach-demo-with-emsi-product-vendor-tickets-68265671461.
Career Coach (viewable at https://cincinnatistate.emsicc.com) is an online tool that helps prospective and current students clarify their interests and skills and relate these factors to career options.
Career Coach also helps students learn about Cincinnati State degree and certificate programs, and learn about the Greater Cincinnati job market, including salary information for local job opportunities.
Training will be led by personnel from Emsi (EconomicModeling.com), the company that created Career Coach. Topics include:
- Understanding the Career Coach tool and how the Career Coach data is compiled.
- Understanding how to help students and prospective students connect to Career Coach.
- Asking questions about the product.
If you have questions, contact Career Center Manager Kelly Harper at firstname.lastname@example.org or 569-4242.
Medical Assistant Certificate graduates celebrated in August
On August 12, 2019, the Summer graduates of Cincinnati State's Medical Assistant Certificate (seen in photos above and below) celebrated their achievement at a pinning ceremony.
Students and their family members joined the festivities on campus.
Medical Assisting is a one-year (3-semester) program that currently admits a group of 15 students twice each year.
Program Chair Patricia Christos said that 8 out of 10 graduating students already have been hired for full-time medical assisting positions and are working in the community.
- It's Charter Day! (Happy 50th Anniversary, CState!)
- Help tell CState's story in the 50th Anniversary Quilt
- Bakery Hill closing at 11 on Sep. 19
- CState faculty member & students win awards in CNC parts design competition
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (Sep. 18-20)
- Sale at the Bookstore - Sep. 18-19
- Charter Day events include picnic, historical displays, visiting dignitaries, & more
- Psychology Club starts Fall activities with Sep. 18 meeting
- Charter Day celebration includes picnic for all
- New scholarship available to CState Brewing students
- - Free Coffee Friday with Patty Edwards
- Mon. 9/23 - Counseling Center Workshop for students: Handling Anxiety & Stress
- Tue. 9/24 - College Info Session
- Tue. 9/24 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 9/25 - Student Health & Wellness Fair
- Fri. 9/27 - Free Coffee Friday with Regina Livers
- Mon. 9/30 - Counseling Center Workshop for students: Handling Anxiety & Stress
- Tue. 10/1 - College Info Session
- Tue. 10/1 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 10/4 - Free Coffee Friday with Kim Taylor