CState hosted Upward Bound Leadership Summit
On July 1 and 2, 70 students from high schools across the region attended the Upward Bound Youth Leadership Summit held at Cincinnati State.
All of the attending students participate in TRIO Upward Bound programs coordinated by Cincinnati State and the University of Cincinnati.
The federally-sponsored program provides year-round instruction, coaching, tutoring, and other support to help students who come from low-income households to prepare for and succeed in higher education.
During the Leadership Summit, the students engaged in a variety of interactive learning sessions, with subjects including leadership styles, teamwork, stress management, making presentations, personal financial management, and research on scholarships.
The students also heard from speakers (photo below) including Cincinnati State President Monica Posey; Cincinnati Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman; Cincinnati Councilman David Mann; Mark Romito, director of external affairs for AT&T Cincinnati; and Ishaq Nadir, president of TruYou LLC and a graduate of the UC Upward Bound program.
"We want the students to leave the Summit not only feeling excited about attending college, but also feeling they belong in college," Dr. Posey said.
AT&T is now in its 10th year as sponsor for the Upward Bound Youth Leadership Summit.
"We support programs like the Youth Leadership Summit because it helps young people realize the value of education, the value of graduating from high school, and the value of having a plan for the future," said Romito. "When young people succeed, we all succeed."
Speakers who welcomed students to the Leadership Summit included (from left): Cincinnati Councilman David Mann; Mark Romito, director of external affairs for AT&T Cincinnati; Cincinnati State President Monica Posey; and Cincinnati Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman.
(Information provided by Richard Curtis, Cincinnati State Interim Media Coordinator)
Happy Hour FUN-draiser for Surge Cupboard on July 10
The College community is invited to enjoy a Happy Hour on Wednesday, July 10, from 4:30 to 7 p.m., in the Summit Restaurant, and at the same time support the Surge Cupboard Food Pantry with your donations.
Your contributions of non-perishable food items (or cash) will help the Food Pantry replenish supplies to meet student needs this summer and in fall.
Features of this Happy Hour include:
- A cash bar and a special signature beverage
- Complimentary happy hour "small bites"
- A raffle
- A Surge Cupboard magnet for everyone who attends
If you can't attend today, donation items can be placed in the Food Pantry bins in each academic division office, in the Library, and outside Main 137, where the Surge Cupboard is located.
Or you can consider making an online donation to the Food Pantry, via the Cincinnati State Foundation:
- Visit the "Give" page of the Cincinnati State website, and scroll down to the "Donate" section
- From the drop-down menu, choose "Other"
- When prompted, enter "Surge Cupboard"
Reminder: College Drive closed July 11 & 12
Portions of College Drive will be inaccessible on Thursday, July 10, and Friday, July 12, because of work on Clifton Campus related to the boiler replacement project.
A large crane will be in front of the Main Building to assist with removal of the old boilers.
On July 11 and 12:
- College Drive will be OPEN from Central Parkway to Lot A and Lot D (employee parking)
- No parking will be available on College Drive
- ALSO NOT ACCESSIBLE:
- ATLC Loading Docks
- Valet Parking Entrance
- Guest, Assigned, and Handicapped parking on College Drive (Additional handicapped parking is available in Lot D, the Ludlow Garage, and the Central Parkway Garage)
- All Drop-Off areas on College Drive
Signs will warn drivers about the restrictions.
If you have questions about parking or driving access, contact Chief of Campus Police Mike Wylie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Join the July Fitness Friday walk on 7/19
The Celebrating Community Committee invites all members of the College community to take a break with another "Fitness Friday" on July 19.
Fitness advocates of all ages (some seen above) enjoyed the healthy walk and the refreshing lunch break on the first Fitness Friday, in June.
- Participants for the July walk should plan to meet at the flagpole in front of the Main Building at noon on July 19.
(If July 19 is a bad weather day, the walk will be rescheduled for July 26.)
- The group will walk to Valley Park in Camp Washington, less than a mile from Clifton Campus.
- Bring a healthy lunch or snack, and a drink.
- The group will return to campus no later than 2 p.m., and fast walkers will probably return sooner.
If you have questions, contact CCC member Milene Donlin (email@example.com).
- Reminder: Surge Purge clean up days begin July 22
- July 19 is Fitness Friday
- Faculty: Look for Starfish Progress Surveys
- Students: Aviation Job Fair on July 17
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (July 15-19)
- Prepare for Surge Purge Days on July 22-26
- CS faculty member has art show at Welcome Project Cincinnati
- Happy Hour FUN-draiser for Surge Cupboard on July 10
- CState hosted Upward Bound Leadership Summit
- Join the July Fitness Friday walk on 7/19
- Mon. 7/22 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Mon. 7/22 - Admit Me Day
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Session
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: Paper Shredding
- Tue. 7/23 - Board of Trustees Meeting
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 7/24 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Thu. 7/25 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Fri. 7/26 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste