BLOCK Fest events promoted family learning experiences
The Early Childhood Education Department sponsored several BLOCK Fest® events from June 24-26, providing math and science learning experiences (seen in photos above and below) for Cincinnati State students and their children.
Some of the events provided learning activities for William L. Mallory Early Learning Center children and their teachers.
Practicum students in the Early Childhood Education program modeled ways that parents can encourage mathematical literacy through play, using a series of hands-on block stations.
High school students in the Upward Bound summer leadership program also enjoyed BLOCK Fest as part of a career exploration experience.
BLOCK Fest is a research-based activity that helps raise awareness of early math and science learning. Through verbal observation, open-ended questioning, and “I wonder…” statements, children are encouraged to foster curiosity and exploration.
BLOCK Fest was developed and piloted by a University of Idaho Parents as Teachers Demonstration Project in 2005. In 2009, the University of Idaho awarded licensing rights for BLOCK Fest to Twiga Foundation, Inc.
Financial Literacy Workshop for students on July 10
All students are invited to attend the workshop "Financial Literacy 101" on Wednesday, July 10, from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The Workshop takes place in the Student Support Services office, Main Building Room 131-B on Clifton Campus.
Workshop facilitators from U.S. Bank will cover topics including:
- Savings vs. Checking Accoounts
- Preparing for the Unexpected
- How to Control Impulse Spending
- Connecting the Dots to Building Financial Wealth
The workshop is hosted by TRIO Student Support Services.
College Drive closed (in part) July 11 & 12
Portions of College Drive will be inaccessible starting in the evening on Wednesday, July 10, and continuing through Friday, July 12, because of work on Clifton Campus related to the boiler replacement project.
A large crane will be in front of the Main Building to assist with removal of the old boilers.
Changes during this period include:
OPEN: College Drive from Central Parkway to Lot A and Lot D (employee parking)
NOT AVAILABLE: ALL parking on College Drive
- ATLC Loading Docks
- Valet Parking Entrance
- Guest, Assigned, and Handicapped parking on College Drive (Additional handicapped parking is available in Lot D, the Ludlow Garage, and the Central Parkway Garage)
- All Drop-Off areas on College Drive
Signs will warn drivers about the restrictions.
If you have questions about parking or driving access, contact Chief of Campus Police Mike Wylie (email@example.com).
Ann Rasche Scholarship reaches $100K endowment
The Zonta Club of Cincinnati has announced that the Ann Rasche Endowed Scholarship at Cincinnati State has reached the $100,000 level, after eight years of fundraising to fully fund the endowment so it is self-sustaining.
Ann Rasche (standing in photo) served for 24 years at Cincinnati State as a faculty member and College administrator. She was part of the College's first group of faculty members.
Ms. Rasche was an active member of Zonta International, a service organization "dedicated to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy by improving the legal, political, economic, educational, health, and professional status of women at the global and local levels through service projects, advocacy, education, and program funding."
The Zonta Ann Rasche Scholarship provides funding for female Cincinnati State students age 25 and older who have limited financial resources.
For more about Zonta's fundraising efforts, and the presentation of the 2019 Ann Rasche scholarship, see this article from the Cincinnati Enquirer. (Scroll down after clicking the link.)
(Photo from Cincinnati State Archives)
College closed on July 4 (but open July 5)
All Cincinnati State campuses are closed Thursday in celebration of the July 4th holiday.
College classes and services resume on Friday, July 5.
Vintage postcard image from www.houseofhawthornes.com
- Culinary Students: Clean out your locker
- Learn more about Career Coach at Sep. 19 training
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (Aug. 19-22)
- Rep. Davidson visited Middletown Campus
- Revised Operations Manual posted
- Fall Common Time schedule announced
- Student Activities calendar for Fall is available
- Watch out for trucks on Clifton Campus Aug. 16 & 19
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (Aug. 16)
- Preview CState's 50th Anniversary celebration at "State-of-the-College" lunch on Aug. 30
- Thu. 8/22 - CTL Symposium
- Mon. 8/26 - Fall Semester 2019 begins
- Tue. 8/27 - College Info Session
- Tue. 8/27 - Retirement Party for Chief Mike Wylie
- Tue. 8/27 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 8/30 - Employee Luncheon - State of the College Address & 50th Anniversary Preview
- Mon. 9/2 - College closed - Labor Day
- Tue. 9/3 - College Info Session
- Tue. 9/3 - College Info Evening Session
- Mon. 9/9 - Common Time: College Updates