High School teachers sampled CState programs at ENGAGE event
Larry Feist led an exercise on "Light and Lasers" for a group of high school teachers during ENGAGE | Faculty.
On June 19, Cincinnati State hosted 26 teachers and counselors, representing 16 area high schools, for the annual ENGAGE | Faculty professional development day held on Clifton Campus.
Photos above and below show some of the day's learning activities.
Each teacher selected three sessions to attend, choosing from 11 options that encompassed all of the College's academic divisions. Participants earned five professional development hours.
Program sessions included:
- The Trauma–Informed Classroom - Dr. Heather Hatchett
- How to be Successful While Diagnosed with ADHD - Sarajane Blatt
- The Benefits of American Sign Language in Your Classroom With or Without Deaf Students - Kristin Bowen
- Light, Lasers, and Balloons - Larry Feist
- Understanding Your Conflict Orientation - Geoffrey Woolf
- Muscles in 3D – Using Clay to Teach Anatomy - Mindy Piles
- Jeopardy U (Business concepts learning game) - Paula Kirch-Smith & David Hensley
- It's All About (Computer) Connectivity - Jeff Vetter
- Let the Sunshine In (Math/science lab concepts) - Terry Endres
- Interactive Teaching Strategies: Engaging Students Today - Dr. Connie Rose
- Applying Trigonometric Functions with Lasers - Dr. Ralph Whaley
The day included lunch, and ended with an optional "Sweet Success" cupcake decorating session led by Chef Betsy LaSorella and others from the Pastry Arts program.
Sponsors for ENGAGE | Faculty 2019 included the Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology Laser Major and the Midwest Photonics Education Center.
ENGAGE | Faculty is part of the series of annual ENGAGE events that help introduce Cincinnati State to prospective students and "influencers" of student choices about college.
McLaughlin was faculty member at national FYE Institute
FYE Professor and Department Chair Julie McLaughlin (second from left in photo) served as a Institute Faculty Member for the 2019 Institute on Developing and Sustaining First-Year Seminars, sponsored by the National Resource Center on the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition.
Julie was the only Institute faculty member representing a two-year college.
Julie was a co-presenter for three sessions at the Institute:
- Political and Structural Realities that Influence Your Seminar
- Recruiting, Preparing, and Rewarding Instructors
- Reflection/Goal-Setting Activity
The Institute took place June 5-7 at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, SC.
Social media #CStateSpirit2019 contest ends June 30
We're in the final five days for College employees to win cash prizes by showing your #CStateSpirit2019 on your social media accounts.
The contest ends June 30, 2019. Until then, keep sharing on your social media accounts photos or video of yourself, in public, wearing CState attire that includes the official College logo (like the t-shirt faculty member LaVon Moore is wearing in the photo).
- To "count" for the contest, your social media post must include the hashtag #CStateSpirit2019.
- Each photo or video you post (along with the #CStateSpirit2019 hashtag) will count as a separate entry-- provided that you're not repeating the same image, and provided that you're wearing "official" Cincinnati State gear that includes the College logo.
- Remember, the College Marketing Department needs to be able to see your post-- so if your social media account is set to "private," you'll need to change the setting or send a link to Web/Digital Manager Amy Wagner (email@example.com), so she can "count" your entry.
After the campaign ends, winners will be selected randomly from all qualified entries that have been posted. Prizes are: $250 VISA card (1st prize), $100 VISA card (2nd prize), and $50 VISA card (3rd prize).
Any time you're showing off Cincinnati State's name while you're in public and/or on your social media, you're helping to build recognition for the College, and opening possibilities for a conversation about what CState has to offer.
So even if you don't enter the contest, please show off your CState attire when you're off campus-- both before and after June 30.
Blackboard maintenance on June 28
On Friday, June 28, from 2 to 6 a.m., Blackboard will be performing system maintenance.
While Blackboard anticipates no interruption in service during this time, it's possible users will experience brief periods of intermittent connectivity or a quick restart of services.
Instructors should let students know about this potential Blackboard service interruption.
I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (June 26-27)
The Ohio Department of Transportation has scheduled overnight projects near the Clifton Campus related to major reconstruction of I-75 & I-74.
Wednesday, June 26 -
- Lane closure on east I-74 from Montana Avenue to the I-75 interchange from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. Thursday, June 27. Traffic will be maintained.
Thursday, June 26
- Lane closure on west I-74 from the I-75 interchange to Montana Avenue between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Friday, July 28.
- In addition, short-term full closures on east and west I-74 between the I-75 interchange and Montana Avenue from midnight until 4 a.m. Friday.
Arrow boards and/or signs will alert motorists of the work zone and restrictions. All work is contingent upon the weather.
To help ensure the safety of the construction workers as well as the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed, and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zone. Remember, move over or slow down.
For ongoing traffic, construction, and and weather-related information, please check www.OHGO.com.
- Farmer's Market for students on Dec. 12
- Brewing Jobs Fair welcomed industry professionals
- Bakery Hill closes at 10 a.m. on Dec. 13
- Retirees were honored at Annual Holiday Lunch
- Office hour changes in Dec. and/or Jan? Let Daily News know.
- WDC hosts "Thank You" Open House on Dec. 10
- Poinsettia sale is over (no plants left to sell)
- CState Food Pantry gets support from Brownie Troop
- Fall Common Time recordings are posted on intranet
- Practical Nursing students worked with Mallory Center for clinical experience
- Thu. 12/12 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 12/13 - Free Coffee Friday with Dr. Denise Rohr
- Fri. 12/13 - College Info Session
- Sat. 12/14 - Fall Semester Last Day
- Mon. 12/16 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - College Info Session
- Wed. 12/18 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - College Info Evening Session