College Drive (partly) closed on May 24
Because of work this week on Clifton Campus related to the boiler replacement project, portions of College Drive will be inaccessible on Friday, May 24.
The drive will be open from Central Parkway to Lot D (employee parking near the Main Building).
Access to Lot A employee parking will not be affected, and those who enter the Ludlow Garage via Ludlow Avenue will not be affected.
- Barriers will be in place at the top of College Drive (where you would turn left if not going into Lot D), starting late in the evening on Thursday, May 23, to prohibit access to the portion of the drive in front of the Main Building (and beyond).
- The barriers will remain in place until work is completed on May 24.
- Signs placed near the College Drive entrance from Central Parkway will warn drivers about the restrictions.
Access to the drive is being restricted because a large crane will be in front of the Main Building to assist with the boiler project.
If you have questions about parking or driving access, contact Chief of Campus Police Mike Wylie (firstname.lastname@example.org).
New grant offers students funding for short-term certificates
Cincinnati State has launched a new Short-Term Certificate Grant Program, made possible by a $349,400 grant from the Ohio Department of Higher Education.
Cincinnati State and other Ohio colleges have been working with the state to develop solutions to financial aid challenges for short-term certificate programs. The grant program applies to certificates that typically take less than a year to complete, but do not qualify for federal financial aid.
Cincinnati State offers several short-term certificate programs (credit-bearing certificates as well as non-credit training programs) that lead to in-demand jobs in health care, manufacturing, business, and other fields.
The new Short-Term Certificate Grant Program helps address the challenge of paying for short-term training by providing grants of up to $1,000 to cover tuition and fees for the eligible certificate programs.
"Our goal is for these grants to help hundreds of local residents get started in a new career or earn a promotion where they are working," said Amy Waldbillig, Vice President of Workforce Development. "Many of the short-term certificate programs include college credits, so students can also get a great start on working toward an associate's degree."
To be eligible for a Short-Term Certificate Grant, potential students must be Ohio residents and meet qualifications for financial need based on federal guidelines. The College will help potential students determine if they meet the eligibility requirements.
For more information about the program and to see a list of the eligible certificates, visit www.cincinnatistate.edu/ShortTermCertificateGrant or call the Workforce Development Center at (513) 569-1643.
Information provided by Richard Curtis, Interim Media Coordinator, Cincinnati State
Greenhouse Sale has price cut for veggies & herbs
Effective immediately, the Horticulture Club Plant and Flower Sale at the Clifton Campus Greenhouse is offering a "buy one, get one free" sale on all tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and annual herbs (including the plants in the photos at right and below).
- You can shop Wednesday and Friday this week from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Thursday from noon to 6 p.m.
- This is the last week you can shop on Thursday evening and on Friday. Starting May 28, Greenhouse sale days/times change to Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- The Greenhouse sale ends when everything is gone-- so don't wait too long!
Parking is available in the small lot in front of the Greenhouse. Access to the lot is a short driveway located between Ludlow Ave. and the Ludlow Garage entrance.
All proceeds from the annual sale support student participation in the National Collegiate Landscape Competition.
For more information, contact Greenhouse Manager Kelly Wanstrath (email@example.com).
Students: Talk to employers in the Career Center throughout summer
Cincinnati State's Career Center is hosting Employer Information Tables starting on May 23, and continuing in June and July.
Students interested in talking to job recruiters can visit the Career Center (ATLC 215) between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. on the days listed below.
Details about job opportunities are available in the Career Center, and will be provided on the Career Center Facebook page: www.facebook.com/CStateCareerCenter.
Visiting employers are:
- Thursday, May 23 - UPS
- Tuesday, June 4 – FedEx
- Wednesday, June 5 - Kable Staffing
- Thursday, June 6 – Just Energy
- Tuesday, June 11– Scribe America
- Wednesday, June 12 – Staff Management/SMX
- Thursday, June 13 – Scribe America
- Tuesday, June 18 – ChildCare Careers
- Wednesday, June 19 – FedEx
- Thursday, June 20 – TriHealth
- Tuesday, June 25 – Just Energy
- Wednesday, June 26 – Kable Staffing
- Thursday, June 27 – College Nannies, Sitters, and Tutors
- Tuesday, July 2 – Atrium Hospitality
- Tuesday, July 9 - Staff Management/SMX
- Wednesday, July 10 – Kable Staffing
- Thursday, July 11 - FedEx
College closed for Memorial Day on May 27
All Cincinnati State campuses are closed on Monday, May 27, in recognition of Memorial Day.
Classes resume Tuesday, May 28.
The next new edition of Daily News will be published on Wednesday, May 29.
Memorial Day Postcard, 1909. Image from www.usmemorialday.org
- Fall students must sign Personal Responsibility Statement
- Virtual "Education Summer Camp" open to all
- A beautiful day in our neighborhood
- "New Student Orientation Online" starts today
- Online Learning Support for faculty scheduled for July 13-17
- Virtual education conferences are open to all
- Campus invader captured
- Ohio governor issues COVID-19 "responsible restart" guidelines for higher education
- Wear a (Cincinnati State) mask
- Free webinar available on "Higher Education in Times of Crisis"
- - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 7/17 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/20 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/20 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Tue. 7/21 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 7/21 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 7/22 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 7/23 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 7/24 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 7/27 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled