Get healthy & happy with Spring Fitness Programs
If your plans for 2019 include getting (or staying) healthy, consider joining the "Healthy is the New Happy" fitness program on Clifton Campus.
Activities start on Monday, Jan. 14, and continue throughout Spring Semester.
Students in the Spring Semester Health & Fitness Technology Capstone course will lead three types of fitness classes:
- Facilitated Group Walking
- Couch to 5K Jogging
- Strength Training for Beginners
Program activities will take place in 30-minute sessions on either a Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday schedule. (Details of class times are on the Informed Consent form, below.)
If you wish, you can sign up for two sessions offered at different times each week.
Those who can't exercise with a group because of schedule conflicts can still participate, on their own, by following a weekly training schedule available at the Fitness Center.
To get started, download the Registration forms:
- "Healthy is the New Happy" Informed Consent form (includes details about class times)
- "Healthy is the New Happy" Pre-Activity Screening form
Registration forms for "Healthy is the New Happy" programs also are available in the Fitness Center (Main Building Room 18, on the lower level).
The Fitness Center is open at 10 a.m. daily, Monday through Friday. Currently the closing time is 2 p.m., but hours will be expanded when Spring Semester staffing is complete.
If you have questions about the "Healthy is the New Happy" programs, contact Health & Fitness Program Chair Mindy Piles (email@example.com).
Forms can be returned to Mindy via email, or dropped off at the Fitness Center.
Food Pantry seeks volunteers for Spring
The Surge Cupboard Food Pantry is seeking volunteers for Spring Semester. Two options are available:
- Help in the Food Pantry (Main 137, Clifton Campus) during standard open times each week, Tuesdays from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. or Wednesdays from 1 to 3 p.m.
- To sign up, visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409084EACA728ABF94-spring.
- Help with the monthly Farmer's Market held on Clifton Campus.
- Spring Farmer's Markets are scheduled for three Thursdays-- Feb. 7, Mar. 7, and Apr. 18, from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. (or until all available produce has been given away).
- Also, some help is needed from 10:30-11:30 to set up the Market.
- To sign up, visit https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409084EACA728ABF94-surge8.
Registered students may use the Surge Cupboard once a month to obtain items at no cost, by showing their Surge Card.
During Fall Semester 2018, the Surge Cupboard had 194 student visits, and the Farmer's Market gave produce to 204 students.
For more information, contact Surge Cupboard Volunteer Coordinator Lachanna Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Blackboard information sessions available
If you'd like to attend an in-person update on recent changes to the Blackboard system, information sessions on What’s New in Blackboard? are available on these days:
- Friday, Jan. 4 - 1 to 2 p.m.
- Monday, Jan. 7 - 1 to 2 p.m.
- Tuesday, Jan. 8 - 11 a.m. to noon
- Tuesday, Jan. 8 - 3 to 4 p.m.
All sessions take place in Main 347, the ITS Training Lab. Each session is limited to 12 participants.
Send an email message to Jon McKamey (email@example.com) to reserve a place at one of the sessions (and please include first and second choices for days/times).
Condolences to the family of Crystal Bossard
Crystal Bossard, Emeritus Professor of Early Childhood Education and Sociology in the Humanities & Sciences Division, passed away on Dec. 25, 2018.
A Memorial Service will take place Saturday, Jan. 12, at 11 a.m. at Gaines United Methodist Church, 5707 Madison Rd., Cincinnati, OH 45227.
Welcome Center Ribbon-Cutting celebrated improved student service areas
Dr. Posey officially opened the new Welcome Center/Office of Admission on the lower level of the ATLC.
Cincinnati State celebrated the opening of new student service offices in the ATLC on Dec. 11, 2018, starting with a ribbon-cutting ceremony attended by guests, College employees, and media representatives.
In addition to Dr. Posey, speakers included:
- College Trustee George Vincent
- College Foundation Board Chair Mike Haunert
- State Representative Catherine Ingram (House District 32)
- Beth Hamad, representing Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted
- Cincinnati City Council Member Jeff Pastor
- Nan Cahall (a past College Trustee), representing Senator Rob Portman
- College VP of Administration Lawra Baumann
Ms. Hamad presented a Proclamation from Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted that commended Cincinnati State for the improvements to student services (photo at right).
The College also received a congratulatory commendation from the Ohio House of Representatives. The commendation was sponsored by State Representative Brigid Kelly (House District 31).
After the ceremony, guests toured the new service areas on the first and second floors of the ATLC, including:
- Registrar's Office / Financial Aid Office - first floor, near the Overlook Cafe
- Transfer Center - second floor, near Bakery Hill
- Career Center - second floor, near Bakery Hill (across from the Transfer Center)
- Cashier's Office / Parking Services Office - second floor service windows, outside the Student Activities Office
- "1 Night, 12 Kitchens" tickets still available
- Want to teach FYE classes in 2019-20?
- Rich Hendrix to join Greater Cinti Basketball Hall of Fame
- CState ASCE Student Chapter is recognized for its activities (like Canstruction Cincinnati)
- Greeters & Room Monitors needed for HLC visit
- One more week & many more raffles for ArtsWave campaign
- HLC Visit on Apr. 22-23 includes 5 Open Forums for College community
- Pottery wheels and a kiln available to the highest bidders
- Concrete truck on College Drive on Apr. 19
- Environmental Earth Jam & Sustainability Workshop on Apr. 18
- Mon. 4/22 - Academic Technology Committee meeting
- Mon. 4/22 - HLC Open Forum: Criteria 1 & 2
- Mon. 4/22 - HLC Open Forum: Criteria 3 & 4
- Mon. 4/22 - HLC Open Forum: Criterion 5 & Future
- Mon. 4/22 - HLC Open Forum: Drop-in Session
- Tue. 4/23 - HLC Open Forum: Drop-in Session
- Tue. 4/23 - HLC Open Forum for Students
- Tue. 4/23 - College Info Session
- Tue. 4/23 - APCC meeting
- Tue. 4/23 - Board of Trustees Meeting (public meeting begins at 4:30 p.m.)