Financial services executive Barbara Turner is appointed as Cincinnati State Trustee
Governor John R. Kasich has appointed Barbara A. Turner to the Cincinnati State Board of Trustees. She was sworn in as a Trustee at the special board meeting held Nov. 1, 2018.
Turner is the president and chief operating officer of Ohio National Financial Services, Inc.
A Cincinnati native, Turner attended the University of Cincinnati and is a graduate of the Wharton Securities Industry Institute and Leadership Cincinnati Class XL.
Turner’s financial services career spans more then 30 years. She joined Ohio National in 1997 and steadily rose through a series of executive positions, becoming president in November 2018.
“I selected the financial services industry as my vocation because I believe financial literacy and independence leads to freedom, flexibility and self-sufficiency. This improves the quality of life of families and sustainability of communities,” Turner said.
“My sentiments about education are similar," she continued. "The education and training options provided by Cincinnati State bring freedom, flexibility, independence and hope to the students it serves. This ultimately improves the quality of life in the Cincinnati community and beyond.”
Turner is a member of the Cincinnati Regional Business Committee, and currently serves on the boards of American Red Cross Greater Cincinnati-Dayton Region, Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park, Cincinnati Women’s Executive Forum, Northern Kentucky University Foundation, The Health Collaborative, and the Women’s Fund of the Greater Cincinnati Foundation.
She is also the 2019 Campaign Chair for American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Great Rivers Affiliate/Go Red for Women campaign.
“We are so happy to have Barbara as a fellow trustee for Cincinnati State,” said Mark Walton, chair of the Cincinnati State Board of Trustees. “Her extensive leadership experience and deep understanding of our community will be instrumental in helping to guide the future of this great college.”
Turner and her husband Daman Turner have three adult children and three grandchildren. She enjoys spending time with family, as well as traveling, cooking, reading and attending local arts events.
She has a special passion for mentoring at-risk teenage girls and single mothers, and helping individuals achieve self-sufficiency and financial independence.
“Cincinnati has been challenged with retaining talent in the region,” Turner said. “I believe Cincinnati State can help in this area by strategically partnering with local businesses to attract, place, and retain talent.”
(Article by Richard Curtis, Interim Media/Communications Coordinator, Cincinnati State)
Turn in your timesheet on time!
The last pay period of 2018 ends Saturday, Dec. 22-- which means the payroll processing schedule is affected by Winter Break.
If you want to be paid on Friday, Dec. 28, your employee time report must be submitted no later than Dec. 22, and supervisors must approve time reports no later than noon on Sunday, Dec. 23.
Please make it a priority to SUBMIT YOUR TIME BEFORE YOU LEAVE FOR WINTER BREAK, and definitely no later than Dec. 22.
If you have questions about "timesheet procedures" in your division/department, please speak to your supervisor ASAP.
STEM lab renovations begin Dec. 17; parts of Main Bldg will be closed
The College renovation project to upgrade several STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) labs on Clifton Campus begins Monday, Dec. 17.
The project starts with demolition activities in areas for the Physics, Biology and Material Testing Labs.
- The Physics Lab demolition requires temporary closing of some Main Building areas.
- From Dec. 17 through Jan. 4, only construction personnel will be permited in the Main Building A-Wing (blue line on map above) and the Physics Corridor (red line on map).
Signs will be in place to alert pedestrians to the changes.
Testing Center has reduced hours on Dec. 20
The Testing Center on Clifton Campus (Main 176) will have reduced operating hours on Thursday, Dec. 20.
- Students who want to complete placement testing on Dec. 20 must check in between 8 and 10 a.m.
- Other days next week will maintain standard hours and students may check in as indicated on the Testing Center Schedule page of the College website.
Prospective students are encouraged to schedule an appointment for testing by calling (513) 569-1569.
Overlook Cafe has shorter hours Dec. 17-19 & closes Dec. 20-21
The Overlook Cafe will be open Dec. 17, 18, and 19 but closed Dec. 20 and 21.
Bakery Hill is closed until Jan. 7.
- Hours of operation Monday through Wednesday are 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- The Hot Line closes at 1 p.m. each day, and Pizza is not available
- Grab-and-Go items, Coffee, and Bakery Hill selections are available Monday through Wednesday starting at 8 a.m.
- Hot Soups are available Monday through Wednesday
Monday, Dec. 17
- Lasagna or Vegetable Lasagna w/ Breadstick - $5.75 (Loaded Plate $6.75)
- Salad Bar available, but no Happy Hour Salad Bar
Tuesday, Dec. 18
- Two Cincinnati-style Chili Cheese Coneys or a Three-way - $5.75 (Vegetarian Option $4.75)
- Salad Bar available, but no Happy Hour Salad Bar
Wednesday, Dec. 19
- Breakfast-for-Lunch Loaded Plate - $6.75 (Vegetarian Option $4.75)
- Salads available at Grab-and-Go only - No Salad Bar
The Overlook will be open Jan. 2 through Jan. 4 from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. daily, with a limited menu.
Giving Challenge ends with Appreciation Reception; more winners announced
The Appreciation Reception for everyone who supported this year's Internal Annual Fund Giving Challenge is today, Dec. 14, from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Conference Center.
Stop by to enjoy light refreshments, and to cheer for the Giving Challenge Coin Wars winners and overall Team winners.
Winners of the final Giving Challenge drawing for a Wine Tasting hosted by Chef Jason Lafferty are Sandra Buschman, Rosa Maria Moreno, Bethany Spencer, Jeff Vetter, and Rick Wendling.
The Special Ops team thanks everyone who supported their Yard Sale and Raffle this week.
The Yard Sale raised $286 for the Annual Fund, and the Raffle raised $255. Raffle winners are:
- $50 - Kathleen Pickens
- $40 - Bethany Spencer
- $30 - Dan Ramsey
- $20 - James Pemberton
- $10 - Kim Vasko
Reminder: Blackboard not available Dec. 30 to Jan. 2
Cincinnati State’s Blackboard Learning Management System will undergo a version upgrade from Dec. 30, 2018, to Jan. 2, 2019.
The upgrade will begin Sunday, Dec. 30, at 12:30 a.m. and will be completed by the start of business on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
Faculty members are encouraged to prepare Spring 2019 Blackboard course sites at your convenience prior to Dec. 30.
Work done prior to Dec. 30 will be intact after the upgrade is completed.
- No special processes are needed for Fall courses in Blackboard either before or after the upgrade.
- Requests for Spring Semester Meta-Courses received no later than noon on Thursday, Dec. 20, will be completed by the close of business on Dec. 20. Requests received later than Dec. 20 at noon will be processed starting on Jan. 2.
Click to download a summary of Blackboard changes that will occur with the upgrade. (Document updated Dec. 14, 2018)
What’s New in Blackboard? information sessions are available on these days:
- Friday, Dec. 14, noon to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, Jan. 3, 10 to 11 a.m.
- Friday, Jan. 4, 1 to 2 p.m.
Send an email message to Jon McKamey (firstname.lastname@example.org) to reserve a place at one of the sessions. You'll receive a confirmation message with additional details.
- President Posey hosts virtual College Update on Aug. 7 (Link included)
- New grads can get yard signs on Saturday
- Faculty laptop computer refresh begins Aug. 11
- Condolences to the family of Gary Boyle
- CState partnership for Cybersecurity education is recognized
- Virtual Commencement 2020 starts Aug. 9 at 3 p.m.
- Webinar offered on "Preparing Instructors for an Uncertain Fall"
- Fall students can purchase "CState Recommended" computers at College Bookstore
- Blackboard Collaborate will have outage on Aug. 6
- Online Learning workshops & support for faculty available Aug. 3-9
- Mon. 8/10 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/11 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/11 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 8/12 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Wed. 8/12 - Career Center webinar - "Moving Beyond Undecided"
- Thu. 8/13 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 8/13 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Fri. 8/14 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 8/17 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/18 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled