Faculty member spent Fall "semester off" assisting hurricane victims
Practical Nursing Professor Dr. Susan Batory (on the left in photo, with other volunteers) spent much of the Fall Semester helping those who were affected by Hurricane Michael, after the Category 3 hurricane struck the U.S. in early October 2018.
Sue was a volunteer for the American Red Cross, providing help to residents of Georgia and Florida.
"During my non-teaching semester I was deployed twice to work as a Disaster Health Service Supervisor," she said,
"My first deployment, in October, was in Seminole County in southern Georgia-- the area that was 'ground zero' after the hurricane hit."
Sue served as the nurse in a shelter that housed approximately 80 people and also helped with outreach to victims of storm damage (see photos below).
Her second deployment, in November, took her to Panama City Beach, Florida, She served as the Health Nurse for other volunteers, and also was part of the Integrated Condolence Care Team (ICCT).
"As an ICCT Nurse, I worked with coroners to visit families who lost loved ones due to the hurricane," she said.
"In spite of the substantial devastation that was still present a month after the hurricane hit, it was very rewarding to be in a role that brought comfort to people."
Sue noted that she serves locally as the volunteer lead for ICCT work in the Greater Cincinnati region when there is a loss due to disaster such as a fire.
Sue has been deployed three times in her 18 months as an American Red Cross volunteer. In October 2017 she worked in Las Vegas, assisting in the aftermath of the mass shooting that occurred there.
"I plan to continue as a volunteer nurse," Sue said. "I'm honored to represent the Red Cross and to help those in need by providing compassionate care."
"I also hope I'm serving as a role model for our nursing students," she added. "I'm proud to represent all of the wonderful Americans who volunteer their time and skills to support others when disasters strike."
Registration help available for students
Students who want in-person assistance registering for classes can get help at the Registration Hub that is available Dec. 17-21 and Jan. 2-4.
The Registration Hub is in the Writing Center Lab (Main 237) on Clifton Campus. A Writing Center faculty member will be on duty.
The Registration Hub service will assist students who have completed an advising appointment, but may want help using MyServices and finishing their course registration for Spring Semester.
Planned service hours are:
- Monday, Dec. 17 through Thursday, Dec. 20 - Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 21 - Open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan 2 and Thursday, Jan. 3 - Open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 4 - Open 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The green "Register Me" sign (above) will be in front of Main 237 during open times, making it easy for students to find the place to get help!
H&S and Special Ops win Giving Challenge team competitions
Special Ops team captains Kristin Donaldson, Tony Cowden, and Patty Edwards celebrated their team's Coin Wars victory along with Overall Team winners Humanities & Sciences, represented by Dean Geoffrey Woolf and team captain Meredith Effler.
Dr. Monica Posey announced the winning teams in the Internal Annual Fund Giving Challenge at the Appreciation Reception held Dec. 14.
Dr. Posey also thanked the team captains and Development Office personnel who helped implement the campaign (see photo below).
Additional results from the 2018 Giving Challenge will be announced in January.
Condolences to Terri Reynolds
Herbert William Reynolds, the father of Terri Reynolds, Executive Assistant in Human Resources, passed on Dec. 9, 2018, in Dayton, Ohio.
Funeral services take place Dec. 17 in Dayton.
Library hours for Dec. 17 through Jan. 4
Library hours for the rest of December and early January are as follows:
- Monday, Dec. 17 through Friday, Dec. 21 - Open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday Dec. 22 - Closed
- Wednesday, Jan. 2 through Friday, Jan. 4 - Open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 5 - Closed
IT Help Desk hours for Dec. 17- 21
The IT Services Walk-Up service window is open Dec. 17 to 21 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily. Phone Support is available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily.
The ATLC Open Lab is closed until classes resume on Jan. 7.
I-75 & I-74 construction update (Dec. 17)
The Ohio Department of Transportation has scheduled overnight projects near the Clifton Campus on Monday, Dec. 17:
- Various lane closures on south I-75 from Mitchell Avenue to Monmouth Street and on north I-75 from Monmouth Street to Mitchell Avenue from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. Tuesday
- Lane closure on east I-74 from Montana Avenue to the I-74/I-75 interchange from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. Tuesday
Arrow boards and/or signs will be in place to alert motorists of the work zone and lane closures.
All work schedules depend on the weather.
For ongoing traffic, construction, and and weather-related information, please check www.OHGO.com.
Send your January news promptly, please
If you have a message that needs to be shared via Daily News when the College re-opens after Winter Break (Jan. 2 to Jan. 4), please send it to the Daily News mailbox (firstname.lastname@example.org) during December, and preferably no later than Friday, Dec. 28.
The Daily News staff will monitor our messages during the Winter Break, but if you provide news on Jan. 1, we can't guarantee it will be published promptly on Jan. 2.
The staff thanks you for your consideration.
- Meet the new Interim Director of the Library, Myra Justus
- Webinar on Aug. 13 offers advice to new online instructors
- Students can use Financial Aid to purchase a computer (updated)
- Communicate with WDC via email while campus water leak is repaired
- Bookstore offers extended hours starting Aug. 17
- Online Learning workshops for Aug. 10-14 include "Best Practices in Virtual Learning" & other topics
- President's Aug. 7 College Update Recording & Slides posted
- Provost's Update sessions continue
- New grads can get yard signs on Saturday
- Faculty laptop computer refresh begins Aug. 11
- - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 8/13 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Fri. 8/14 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 8/17 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/18 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Tue. 8/18 - CCP Virtual Orientation
- Wed. 8/19 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Thu. 8/20 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Fri. 8/21 - All On-Campus Meetings/Events postponed or canceled
- Mon. 8/24 - First day of Fall Semester