"This is CState" Annual Fund campaign begins
The Internal Annual Fund Giving Challenge-- a campaign that supports our students and programs through the Cincinnati State Foundation-- started Nov. 15 and will continue until Dec. 13, 2018.
Winners of the friendly interdivisional/interdepartmental fundraising competition will be announced at an Appreciation Reception on Dec. 14.
The theme of this year's Annual Fund campaign is "This is CState," and the goal is 100 percent participation.
All donations--small or not-so-small-- are welcomed and valued.
Campaign information and pledge forms are being distributed to employee mailboxes this week.
Team Captains will be sharing more information soon about plans for having fun while fundraising. These volunteers are:
- Business Technologies - Paula Kirch Smith and Betsy LaSorella
- Center for Innovative Technologies - George Armstrong, Linda Gibbons (Harrison Campus), and Ron Singleton
- Health & Public Safety - Milene Donlin and Bridgett Redding
- Humanities & Sciences - Sandi Buschmann and Meredith Effler
- Workforce Development Center - Cheryl Brackman
- Enrollment & Student Development - Cara Benz, Jesse Brown, and Hannah Held
- Special Ops - Kristin Donaldson and Patty Edwards
The sooner you turn in your pledge card, the more chances you'll have to win fabulous prizes. Drawings for prizes will start today, Nov. 16, and will continue on these dates:
- Tuesday, Nov. 20
- Friday, Nov. 30
- Friday, Dec. 7
- Thursday, Dec. 13
You can give your completed pledge card to one of your Team Captains, or send the form to the Development Office (ATLC 337).
If you have questions about the campaign, contact Kim Taylor in the Development Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Faculty members recognized for excellence
Faculty members who received SOCHE excellence awards are (from left) Peggy Rolfsen, Marianne Niese, Joanne Steelman, Brian Hooten, and Stani Kantcheva. Not in photo: Tom Burns.
Six CState faculty members were recognized at the 2018 Southwest Ohio Council for Higher Education (SOCHE) Faculty Excellence Awards Banquet.
The awards event was held at the University of Dayton on Nov. 2.
Faculty members from 18 colleges and universities in the region received awards.
Academic administrators at each college or university selected faculty for SOCHE awards based on each institution’s criteria, with special consideration for demonstrated excellence in teaching, service, and/or scholarship throughout the past academic year.
Cincinnati State nominees for the SOCHE awards included the most recent recipients of the House-Bruckmann Faculty Excellence Award, Tom Burns and Stani Kantcheva.
Others recognized included:
- Academic Program Advising - Marianne Niese
- Cooperative Education Coordination - Brian Hooten
- Middletown Campus Teaching - Joanne Steelman
- Online Teaching - Peggy Rolfsen
SOCHE promotes collaboration among 23 institutions to "transform their communities and economies through the education, employment, and engagement of nearly 200,000 students in southwest Ohio."
Auto Club raffle of Bengals tickets supports the Food Pantry
The Cincinnati State Automotive Club is teaming up with the Surge Cupboard Food Pantry to provide food for those in need.
In addition, CState Automotive Service Management Program partner Tire Discounters has provided a raffle prize for food drive donors-- tickets to the Bengals/Browns game at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday, Nov. 25.
Donations of non-perishable food items will be collected, and raffle tickets will be sold, until the raffle drawing on Tuesday, Nov. 20, at 3 p.m., when two winners will receive a pair of game tickets (an $82 value). You don't have to be present at the drawing to win.
You can drop off donations and buy raffle tickets in the Business Technologies Division office (Main 330, Clifton Campus) during standard business hour on Nov. 16, Nov. 19, or Nov. 20.
Raffle tickets are $5 each, and if you also bring at least one item to donate to the food drive, you'll get an extra raffle ticket!
For more information, contact Automotive Club advisor Brian Hooten at email@example.com or (513) 666-7953.
Campus Blood Drive on Nov. 19
A Blood Drive in support of Hoxworth Blood Center will take place Monday, Nov. 19, from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., in Conference Center Room 342 on Clifton Campus.
The Blood Drive is sponsored by Cincinnati State Black Male Initiative and the Honors Program Student Club.
All members of the College community are invited to donate. Every donor will receive a free T-shirt.
To schedule an appointment please visit https://hoxworth.org/groups/cincystate or call (513) 451-0910.
Walk-in donors will be accepted if the time slot is open.
Every donation of blood can help save three lives, so the student organizations sponsoring the Blood Drive hope you will support their life-saving project!
Career Exploration class includes networking practice
Students in Professor Jayne Dressing’s Career Exploration Seminar class (HUM 190) recently participated in a networking exercise to learn how to “work the room” at a career fair.
Students' tasks included introducing themselves, shaking hands, maintaining eye contact during conversation, and sharing business cards.
Jayne said, “Many Cincinnati State students never have participated in a career fair or other professional networking event. This exercise helps them build confidence about meeting new people and presenting themselves in a professional manner."
She added, "The students always leave this exercise excited that they’ve learned their classmates’ names and something new about them."
"The exercise also helps students learn about making connections both inside and outside the classroom,” Jayne said.
Send DN your post-Thanksgiving news soon
The next two editions of Daily News will be published on Monday, Nov. 19, and Monday, Nov. 26.
If you have news that needs to be shared during the week of Nov. 26, please send your information to the Daily News Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than Friday, Nov. 23.
Our staff appreciates your cooperation, and looks forward to reading your messages during the break.
- Library hours adjusted for Dec. and Jan.
- Place your printing orders promptly to start Spring smoothly
- WDC welcomed clients & community leaders at Open House
- Overlook Cafe open 10 to 2 on Dec. 16-20
- Please turn in your Surge Time on time
- Enrollment Services hours adjusted for Dec. & early Jan.
- Ohio Kings basketball honors Cincinnati State & Dr. Posey on Dec. 14
- Retirees were honored at Annual Holiday Lunch
- Bakery Hill closes at 10 a.m. on Dec. 13
- Farmer's Market for students on Dec. 12
- - Fall Semester Last Day
- Sat. 12/14 - Ohio Kings basketball "Cincinnati State Night"
- Mon. 12/16 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - College Info Session
- Wed. 12/18 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 12/20 - No classes; offices open
- Fri. 12/20 - College Info Session