EVT students & faculty "moved their mussels" for relocation project
Environmental Engineering Technology (EVT) Program Chair Ann Gunkel (above), along with adjunct faculty members Warren High and Jason Gill, and a dozen EVT students (see photos below), participated in a unique environmental event on Oct. 13: the Cincinnati State volunteers helped to move native mussels from the Williamsburg Dam (on the Little Miami River in Clermont County) to a new home on the Mill Creek.
Mussels are a form of mollusks, and are related to clams, snails and even octopuses. They help keep bodies of water clean by filtering oxygen and particles from the water, and absorbing what they consume into their bodies and shells.
The scheduled removal of the Williamsburg Dam provided an opportunity for the EVT students and faculty members to participate in the first-ever interbasin transfer of mussels in Ohio, and to return mussels to the Mill Creek after more than 100 years.
The dam is being removed because it is no longer needed to serve a now-closed waterworks plant, and the area is being returned to its natural state.
According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, more than 500 mussels were collected and relocated.
The environmental project work also included removing invasive honeysuckle and planting native trees and seeds.
Happy Halloween (see you at Fright Fest?)
The Halloween Fright Fest sponsored by Student Activities and the Humanities & Sciences Division is open to all on Halloween (Oct. 31) between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
The Fest include four screenings of classic horror film The Bride of Frankenstein, free popcorn and candy, and a costume contest for CState students.
Visit the Culinary Demonstration Kitchen Theater to enjoy the Fright Fest activities. (The theater is ATLC 043; there's also an entrance on the first floor of the ATLC, near the Bookstore.)
- The 75-minute movie will run four times, starting at 11 a.m., 1:30 p.m, 2:45 p.m., and 4 p.m.
- Costume contest winners will be announced at the end of the day. Prizes, in the form of funds added to your Surge Card, are:
- 1st Place - $25
- 2nd Place - $15
- 3rd Place - $10
Student organizations helped Halloween event for foster children
Leadership Club member Jose Villarreal (left) and club president Sarah Wells show off their decorated "Trunk or Treat" station.
On Oct. 17, students from the Leadership Club, Phi Theta Kappa, and the Honors Program participated in a "Trunk or Treat" with foster children from Necco, an organization that assists foster children and foster parents in Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Georgia.
The Cincinnati State students decorated their cars and passed out candy to the children.
The students also donated two large boxes of costumes for the children to use at the Trunk or Treat and on Halloween. The Leadership Club and Phi Theta Kappa thank everyone who contributed to the costume drive.
At right: Leadership Club president Sarah Wells provided candy for participating children.
Below: Students and advisors from all three clubs waited for "trunk or treaters" to arrive.
Board of Trustees Special Meeting on Nov. 1
The Cincinnati State Board of Trustees will meet in a special session on Thursday, Nov, 1, 2018, at 7:30 a.m., at Midland Atlantic, 8044 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45236.
The meeting is open to the public.
The agenda for the Board of Trustees Meeting is:
- Call to Order
- Sunshine Law Compliance Announcement
- Roll Call
- Swearing in of New Trustee Barbara Turner
- Contract Approvals
- Resolution to Approve FY18 Efficiency & Affordability Report to the State of Ohio
- Old Business
- New Business
- Executive Session
The next Board of Trustees meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2018, at 3:45 p.m., in the Main Building Conference Center on Clifton Campus.
International Student Affairs receives SEVP recertification
Cincinnati State’s International Student Affairs Office was recently recertified by the US Department of Homeland Security / Immigration and Customs Enforcement as an approved SEVP (certified institution.
SEVP certification allows institutions to issue Form I-20, "Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status," to prospective international students after admitting them to a course of study.
The I-20 certification allows international students to apply for a visa to enter the US and become students.
Cincinnati State has been approved to enroll students with both F (academic) and M (vocational) student visa classifications.
“We are pleased to hear about our recertification and appreciate the internal stakeholders who helped provide the documents needed for reapproval,” said Katrina Rugless, Interim Director of International Student Affairs.
“We look forward to intensifying our recruitment and services for our international students,” she added.
Daily News adjusts schedule for Nov. issues
Because of upcoming College events and holidays, the Daily News publishing schedule has some upcoming adjustments.
Daily News will be published as usual these days:
- Friday, Nov. 2
- Monday, Nov. 5
- Wednesday, Nov. 7
- Wednesday, Nov. 14
Daily News will not be published on Nov. 9 (Convocation) or on Nov. 12 (Veterans Day holiday).
If you have time-sensitive November messages to share, please send them to the Daily News Editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) soon.
The DN publishing team appreciates your cooperation.
- Reminder: Surge Purge clean up days begin July 22
- July 19 is Fitness Friday
- Faculty: Look for Starfish Progress Surveys
- Students: Aviation Job Fair on July 17
- I-75 & I-74 Construction Update (July 15-19)
- Prepare for Surge Purge Days on July 22-26
- CS faculty member has art show at Welcome Project Cincinnati
- Happy Hour FUN-draiser for Surge Cupboard on July 10
- CState hosted Upward Bound Leadership Summit
- Join the July Fitness Friday walk on 7/19
- Fri. 7/19 - Free Coffee Friday with Cindy Sefton
- Fri. 7/19 - Fitness Friday Walk
- Mon. 7/22 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Mon. 7/22 - Admit Me Day
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Session
- Tue. 7/23 - Surge Purge Day: Paper Shredding
- Tue. 7/23 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 7/24 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste
- Thu. 7/25 - Surge Purge Day: E-waste, Metal & Chemical Waste