CState models "worked it" at the Spiritwear Fashion Show
Noteworthy local "models," like Registrar Jason Moore (above) and those seen in paparazzi photos below, showed off numerous new choices for Cincinnati State spiritwear (as well as other memorable fashion choices) at the CState Spiritwear Fashion Show held Aug. 7.
All items of College-branded attire that were on display during the show are available from the Surge Spiritwear Online Store (for College employees only) or from the Follett Campus Bookstore-- and both spiritwear suppliers are offering a discount on your purchases made this week.
The Surge Spiritwear Online Store for College employees (hosted by Munoz Brandz) is offering a 5% discount, valid this week only, to celebrate the store's "re-opening" with new selections and new colors for College-branded attire.
The new colors for spiritwear align with the color scheme used in the remodeling of areas in the ATLC.
You also have the option to order attire with a logo that identifies your division or program.
- Access the store at http://www.cincystate.munozbrandzstore.com. Use "statestore" for both Login and Password.
- To receive the discount, use promo code "CinState5off".
- If you want to view samples of the new attire choices from the Online Store, call Jackie Norton at 569-4124. When Jackie is in her office (Main 175) she'll be happy to give you access to the "fashion closet" sample display.
The Follett Campus Bookstore (in Room 143 of the ATLC) is offering College faculty and staff members a 10% discount this week on all clothing and gift items, including an additional discount on clearance items (most are already 30% off, during the Bookstore end-of-summer sale to make room for new fall merchandise).
The Follett store discount can be used online also (https://www.bkstr.com/cincinnatistatetechstore/home) but be sure to use the "comments" section to state that you are a College employee, so the discount will be applied.
The Surge-O-Fun Committee would like to thank the other Fashion Show models (who somehow escaped the glare of the cameras), including Meredith Effler and baby Dorothy (the latter modeling CState spiritwear for infants), Kim Taylor, Uma Gouda, Hannah Held, Mark Willis, Sandie Mills, and Jackie Norton.
Winners of door prizes were Bessie Pitts, Tom Hale, Uma Gouda, Destiny Howard, Jason Moore, and four staff members from the same office: Sandie Mills, Theresa Johnson, Kristen Donaldson, and Kim Taylor. (Event organizers swear it was a random, fair-and-square drawing.)
The next Surge-O-Fun event is a tailgating party planned for September. Look for details in a future edition of Daily News.
Free produce for students at Aug. 9 Farmer's Market
The final Surge Cupboard Farmer's Market for Summer semester takes place Thursday, Aug. 9, in "The Spot" on the ATLC first floor, outside the Clifton Campus Bookstore.
Free fruits and vegetables will be available to Cincinnati State students from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (or until everything has been given away).
The Farmer's Market is part of a partnership between Cincinnati State's Food Pantry and the Freestore Foodbank, which delivers produce to campus once a month for free distribution to students, at no cost to the College.
Registered Cincinnati State students can visit the Surge Cupboard Food Pantry (in Main Building Room 137) once a month to obtain non-perishable items at no cost.
This Summer, the Surge Cupboard is open on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:30 to 5 p.m.
A team of student and staff volunteers assists the students who use the Food Pantry and/or attend the monthly Farmer's Market. To learn more about volunteering, contact Lachanna Jackson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Show your #CStateSpirit at the Black Family Reunion Parade on Aug. 18
Cincinnati State will be an active participant in the 30th Annual Midwest Regional Black Family Reunion during the weekend of Aug. 17-19.
CState representatives will attend the Reunion Celebration at Sawyer Point on Saturday, Aug. 18, and the Community Job & Education Fair at the Sharonville Convention Center on Friday, Aug. 17.
All members of the College community are invited to help represent the College in the Black Family Reunion Parade on Aug. 18.
The parade staging area is the Avondale Town Center at 3529 Reading Road, and you need to be there no later than 9:15 a.m., wearing Cincinnati State attire, to become part of the parade group.
The parade takes place from 10 to 11:30 a.m.
To sign up, go to https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4badac2fa2f58-theblack and join the parade!
Greeters needed for first days of Fall semester
Faculty and staff members, please consider giving an hour or two of your time on Aug. 27 or Aug. 28 to help welcome our new and returning students to Fall Semester on Clifton Campus.
- To sign up to assist, use this link: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/4090C45AEA92EA6F85-fall1
Thanks for helping our students make a positive start to the new academic year!
Condolences to Kim Vasko
Ronald D. Vasco, brother of Kim Vasko, died July 1, 2018. A memorial service will be held Saturday, Aug. 11, at Asbury United Methodist Church, Highland Heights, KY, with visitation from 11 to 11:30 a.m., and the memorial service and celebration of life following.
Memorial contributions may be made to Asbury United Methodist Church, 2916 Alexandria Pk, Highland Heights, KY, 41076; Bellevue-Dayton Firefighters IAFF, Local 3751, Dayton, KY, 41074; or to the charity of one's choice.
Messages of condolence may be posted at the Legacy.com website.
"Surge Purge" ends Thursday
"Surge Purge" on Clifton Campus has two days remaining to get rid of specialized clutter and waste:
Aug. 8 and 9 are "Metal/Broken Furniture Waste Days"
- Bring metal and broken furniture items to designated dumpsters in Lot D anytime on Aug. 8 or 9.
- You can bring broken metal items from home to dispose. The College will get a small rebate for these materials.
- If you have a large amount of waste and need assistance, contact Facilities at 569-1559 prior to the waste disposal days. Provide a description of items to be disposed of and the location of the items.
Aug. 8 and 9 are "Chemical Waste Days"
- Bring chemical waste to the Ludlow Garage (caged-in area on first level) anytime on Aug. 8 or 9; however, you must call Police Dispatch at 569-1558 to arrange for a police officer to meet you.
I-75 construction update (Aug. 8-10)
The Ohio Department of Transportation has scheduled overnight and daytime projects near the Clifton Campus that will continue through Friday, Aug. 10:
- Monday, Aug. 6 through Wednesday, Aug. 8: Nightly lane closures on I-75 from Hopple Street to Mitchell Avenue and on I-74 from Montana Avenue to the I-75 split from 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. Also on Wednesday, shoulder closures on I-75 and I-74 in the same locations daily from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 9: Shoulder closures on I-75 and I-74 in the same locations from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. In addition, lane closures on I-75 and I-74 in the same locations beginning two hours after the end of the Bengals game until 6 a.m.
- Friday, Aug. 10: Shoulder closures on I-75 and I-74 in the same locations from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. Also, single lane closures on I-75 and I-74 in the same locations beginning two hours after the end of the Reds game until 6 a.m.
Arrow boards and/or signs will be in place to alert motorists of the work zone and lane closures.
All work schedules depend on the weather.
For ongoing traffic, construction, and and weather-related information, please check www.OHGO.com.
- Psychology Club examines Ohio medical marijuana policy on Feb. 20
- Clifton Campus Gym is closed for roof repairs
- AAUP Service Project offers "Midterm Survival Kits" for students
- Pres. Posey presented National Community College Award to Sen. Portman
- OTA fundraiser on Feb. 19 at Chipotle
- Colllege closed Feb. 18 for Presidents' Day
- Support is needed for CState Career & Co-op Job Fair on Feb. 28
- After-school reading program seeks volunteers
- Gymnasium closed for roof repairs
- Parking restrictions on Feb. 11 in Lot D
- Mon. 2/18 - College Closed - Presidents' Day
- Tue. 2/19 - College Info Session
- Tue. 2/19 - Career Center Workshop: Career Fair Tips
- Tue. 2/19 - APCC meeting
- Tue. 2/19 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 2/20 - Psychology Club Speaker: Ohio's Medical Marijuana Policy
- Wed. 2/20 - WordPlay Reading Program Training
- Wed. 2/20 - Faculty Senate meeting
- Wed. 2/20 - Women's Empowerment Network Book Club
- Wed. 2/20 - Budget Review Presentation: Workforce Development