High School Teachers enjoyed "ENGAGE | Faculty" event
Faculty member Mindy Piles (standing) helped high school teachers apply knowledge of anatomy to exercise choices, during "ENGAGE | Faculty" on June 20.
More than 40 high school teachers from 31 different schools participated in the annual ENGAGE | Faculty professional development day held June 20 on Clifton Campus. Photos above and below show varied moments from the event.
Each teacher selected four sessions to attend, choosing from 16 options that encompassed all of the College's academic divisions. Program sessions included:
- The Birds and the Bees and the Flowers and the Trees - Mark Deacon, Landscape Horiculture
- Tesla to Tesla: Science and Motors - Ron Singleton, Electrical Engineering Technology
- Muscles in 3D - Mindy Piles, Health & Fitness
- Spectroscopy: Revealing the Secrets of Light - Terry Endres & Ryan Schmidt, Physics
- Don’t Get Shocked - Mike Mueller, Automotive Maintenance Technology
- A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words - Kathy Freed, Graphic Imaging Technology
- The Jigsaw Classroom - Angela Thompson, Nursing
- Foreign Languages and ESL Workshop - Rosa Moreno, Spanish, & Maggie Oliveira, English as a Second Language
- A Sweet Teaching Opportunity - Chef Betsy LaSorella, Pastry Arts
- Applying Trigonometric Functions with Lasers - Larry Feist, Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Classroom Techniques to Empower the Adult Learner - Mike Chaney, Respiratory Care Technology
- The 7 Bridges of Konigsburg Problem - Michael House, Mathematics
- Marketing Your Business - Jeff Lovins, Marketing Management
- Imminent Value and Invitational Approaches in the Classroom - Dave Killen, Audio/Video Production
- ePortfolios - Kristy Meineke-Brandabur, Medical Assisting
- Intelligence Testing: Myths, Misconceptions, and Student Empowerment - Heather Hatchett, Psychology
The day included lunch, and ended with an optional session on Craft Beer Tasting led by Carla Gesell-Streeter, Brewing Science
Sponsors for ENGAGE | Faculty 2018 were:
- Parking: Terry Benedict and Katie Bauer - Ohio College Tech Prep
- Printing: Larry Feist - Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology Laser Major and the Midwest Photonics Education Center
- Lunch: Provost Robbin Hoopes
ENGAGE | Faculty is part of the series of annual ENGAGE events that help introduce Cincinnati State to prospective students and "influencers" of student choices about college.
July 3 is Red, White & Blue Day (with frozen treats!)
If you're on Clifton Campus on Tuesday, July 3, visit the Courtyard outside the Overlook Café between 11:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., and enjoy a free frozen treat to launch your red, white & blue holiday celebration.
This event is sponsored by the “Surge of Fun” Committee-- a new group that includes members of the former Surge-A-Palooza committee as well as members of the F.U.N. (Faculty Unity Network) Committee.
The Surge of Fun Commitee aims to offer a variety of entertaining and morale-boosting events, throughout the year, for all employees of Cincinnati State.
Locker Cover-Up begins soon; empty your locker by July 9
The Great Locker Cover-Up will begin on the first and third floors of the Main Building on July 16.
Signs (like the example above) indicate where lockers will be removed.
Lockers in the areas slated for "cover-up" need to be emptied, and locks removed, by Monday, July 9.
Starting July 9, any remaining locks will be removed by College personnel, and items inside lockers will be disposed. (Hazmat gear will be employed when necessary.)
Katrina Rugless joins Conversa Advisory Board
Katrina Rugless, Interim Director of the College's International Student Affairs Office, has joined the Board of the Conversa Language Center, a Cincinnati-based organization that assists international students.
Conversa provides classes in English as a Second Language and also helps international students enroll in local colleges and universities and apply for scholarships.
“I am excited to be a member of the Conversa Board," Katrina said. "I'll be able to work with our Admissions Office to better serve students from Conversa and help them make a smooth transition to Cincinnati State.”
July Bakery Hill Special: Flavored Ice Tea is $1.50
The July special at Bakery Hill (available Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to noon) is any 16 oz Flavored Iced Tea for just $1.50.
Choose Black, Citron Green, or Crimson Berry tea, and then, if you wish, add a flavored syrup: Peach, Strawberry, Raspberry, or Mango.
And remember, if you use your Surge Card to buy food and drinks at Bakery Hill (and the Overlook Cafe), you'll see the purchase cost reduced by 5 percent-- a nickel saved for every dollar you spend.
To “load money” onto your Surge Card so you can use your discount, go to the Online Surge Card Office, and login with your standard CState username and password.
I-75 construction update (July 5 & 6)
The Ohio Department of Transportation has scheduled an overnight project near the Clifton Campus from 7 p.m. until 7 a.m. on Thursday, July 5, and Friday, July 6:
- Pavement marker placement requires various ramp lane shifts. This will affect ramps to I-74 and I-75. Traffic will be maintained.
Arrow boards and/or signs will be in place to alert motorists of the work zone and lane closures.
All work schedules depend on the weather.
For ongoing traffic, construction, and and weather-related information, please check www.OHGO.com.
College is closed on Independence Day
All Cincinnati State campuses are closed Wednesday in celebration of the July 4th holiday.
College classes and services resume on Thursday, July 5.
Image source: Pinterest/vintagefangirl.com
- Psychology Club examines Ohio medical marijuana policy on Feb. 20
- Clifton Campus Gym is closed for roof repairs
- AAUP Service Project offers "Midterm Survival Kits" for students
- Pres. Posey presented National Community College Award to Sen. Portman
- OTA fundraiser on Feb. 19 at Chipotle
- Colllege closed Feb. 18 for Presidents' Day
- Support is needed for CState Career & Co-op Job Fair on Feb. 28
- After-school reading program seeks volunteers
- Gymnasium closed for roof repairs
- Parking restrictions on Feb. 11 in Lot D
- Mon. 2/18 - College Closed - Presidents' Day
- Tue. 2/19 - College Info Session
- Tue. 2/19 - Career Center Workshop: Career Fair Tips
- Tue. 2/19 - APCC meeting
- Tue. 2/19 - College Info Evening Session
- Wed. 2/20 - Psychology Club Speaker: Ohio's Medical Marijuana Policy
- Wed. 2/20 - WordPlay Reading Program Training
- Wed. 2/20 - Faculty Senate meeting
- Wed. 2/20 - Women's Empowerment Network Book Club
- Wed. 2/20 - Budget Review Presentation: Workforce Development