Donut Day '18 was a success on campus & on Fountain Square
Cincinnati State students and faculty chefs (Betsy LaSorella, right, and Michael VanFleet, 2nd from right) enjoyed supporting Donut Day activities on Fountain Square.
Cincinnati State Pastry Chefs and Culinary Arts/Pastry Arts students would like to thank the College community for your support of National Donut Day 2018.
Bakery Hill sold more than 900 glazed donuts on June 1, contributing to thousands of dollars raised in support of The Salvation Army.
Thanks also to Dr. Posey for her participation in Donut Day, which included competing in the Donut Stacking contest (see photo at right).
Dr. Posey confided to Daily News that she is aware that some participants "practice all year" for the annual stacking competition; however, her many responsibilities to the College interfered with intensive training for this year's event.
HPS welcomes new faculty chair for EMS & Fire Service
Thomas (Ryan) Mayfield is the new program chair for Emergency Medical Services and Fire Service Technology in the Health & Public Safety Division.
Ryan has experience in emergency medical care, prehospital care, and critical care transport in high volume urban, suburban, and rural settings at hospitals, EMS/Fire Departments, and in higher education.
In addition to a master's degree in Emergency Health Services, Ryan holds certifications as a Paramedic, EMS Instructor, and HAZMAT First Responder.
In Cincinnati, he served as supervisor of Base Operations for UC Health - Air Care/Mobile Care and as a paramedic for Cincinnati Children’s Medical Center for Pediatric/Neonatal Critical Care Transport Team.
Previously, he worked in a variety of academic and professional assignments in Colorado, Maryland, and Texas, and has been recognized for his research and innovations in his discipline.
Ryan's professional accomplishments include developing an EMS Sepsis Alert Program that has served as the basis for prehospital sepsis treatment programs throughout the country. He also was responsible for maintaining a medical infrastructure at shelters for Hurricane Katrina evacuees.
McLaughlin served as leader of national FYE Institute
FYE Department Chair Julie McLaughlin served for the third time as a faculty member for the Institute on First-Year Student Success in the Community College, sponsored by the National Resource Center for The First-Year Experience and Students in Transition.
The 2018 Institute took place June 1-3 in Charleston, SC.
Julie was one of five national experts on FYE selected to serve as faculty for the Institute.
Julie co-presented sessions including:
- Underprepared and Misunderstood: Strategies for Meeting Challenge with Support
- Active Learning Strategies: Engaging Students in the First Year of College
- Lessons Learned in (Re)Developing and Administering a First-Year Experience Program
She also served as a mentor and consultant for Institute participants.
The Plant Sale is over
The Horticulture Club and the Landscape Horticulture program faculty and staff members thank the College community for making this year's Greenhouse Sale a success.
The Horticulture Club raised nearly $10,000 to help support student participation in the National Collegiate Landscape Competition, held each year in Colorado.
In addition, plants were donated to Happen Inc., a non-profit organization in Northside that works with parents and children throughout Cincinnati, bringing families together through shared creative experiences.
You can look forward to future plant sales on Clifton Campus including:
- Third Thursdays sales of varied plants during Fall and Spring Semesters
- Succulent gourd sales for Thanksgiving
- Poinsettias are arriving soon, to be grown for sale near Christmas
Lot D parking is limited during Cooling Tower Replacement Project (& please close windows in Main & HPB)
Lot D on Clifton Campus will have fewer open parking spaces during the next two weeks because of the Cooling Tower Replacement Project taking place behind the Main Building.
See Daily News for June 8 for additional details and an illustration of the construction area.
Signs are in place to remind you where you can drive, park, and walk (or not) during the project period.
On Wednesday, June 13, a 90-ton crane will be on site to facilitate the installation of the new cooling tower.
- Vehicle access to the portion of Lot D behind the Main Building will be blocked starting at 11 p.m. on Tuesday, June 12 and no vehicle traffic will be permitted in this area on June 13.
- The crane will arrive on campus about 6:30 a.m. on June 13.
- Removal of the old tower and installation of the new one will occur during a 4-hour timespan on June 13, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- A "Cooling Tower Viewing Party," with appropriately-themed refreshments, will take place in the designated viewing area (opposite the cooling tower site) from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on June 13. During this time period, the new tower will be lifted by the crane and set in place.
Air cooling in the Main Building and the Health Professions Building is reduced slightly during the project period.
To help ensure that classrooms and workspaces in these buildings stay cool and comfortable, please do not open windows, and please turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Library hours adjusted for Dec. and Jan.
- Place your printing orders promptly to start Spring smoothly
- WDC welcomed clients & community leaders at Open House
- Overlook Cafe open 10 to 2 on Dec. 16-20
- Please turn in your Surge Time on time
- Enrollment Services hours adjusted for Dec. & early Jan.
- Ohio Kings basketball honors Cincinnati State & Dr. Posey on Dec. 14
- Retirees were honored at Annual Holiday Lunch
- Bakery Hill closes at 10 a.m. on Dec. 13
- Farmer's Market for students on Dec. 12
- - Fall Semester Last Day
- Sat. 12/14 - Ohio Kings basketball "Cincinnati State Night"
- Mon. 12/16 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - No classes; offices open
- Tue. 12/17 - College Info Session
- Wed. 12/18 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - No classes; offices open
- Thu. 12/19 - College Info Evening Session
- Fri. 12/20 - No classes; offices open
- Fri. 12/20 - College Info Session