Main Building reopens with standard hours on May 10
Starting on Monday, May 10, all of the entrance doors to the Main Building that face the ATLC and the Health Professions Building will be unlocked from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. on all days the College is "open for business."
These are the same access times currently in effect for other Clifton Campus buildings.
- College Drive will remain closed (except for the portion that provides access from Central Parkway to parking lots A and D) until repairs to the fire loop and other remaining repairs to Main are completed.
- Main Building doors on the "flagpole" side of Main (center left in the photo above) will be open only for use by construction personnel, from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- Signage will be in place to guide students, employees, and visitors who may need access to Main.
For Summer Semester, all parking on Clifton Campus is free and the gates will be open for all garages and parking lots.
- Students with Summer classes in Main Building will continue to have access to Lots A and D if they wish to use these parking areas.
Hours of operation for academic division offices and other services in Main will be available next week.
Experiential Education Celebration honored "Co-op of the Year" students
Three Cincinnati State students were recognized as the "Cooperative Education/Internship Students of the Year" for 2021 during the Celebration of Experiential Education Common Time session on May 3.
Each of the award recipients gave brief remarks to express their appreciation for the award and the scholarship that is part of "Co-op of the Year" recognition.
- The recording of the entire Common Time session is posted on the intranet. Go to: How the College Works > Academics > Common Time > Common Time Recordings > 2021
- To view the video that was prepared to celebrate the 50th anniversary of experiential education at the College, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt_4333SrMU
Co-op Scholarship recipient Peter Benzick is a student in Computer Programming and Database Management - Computer Information Systems Major.
His co-op employer is ATech in Walton, KY.
Co-op Scholarship recipient Melissa Scheel (on left in photo) is earning a degree in Civil Engineering Technologies - Construction Management Major.
Her co-op employer is Cardinal Engineering Corp. in Wilder, KY.
Co-op Scholarship recipient Jonathan "Jon" Kiger is majoring in Hospitality Management.
His co-op employer is the Irish Heritage Center of Greater Cincinnati.
In addition to student recognition, the Celebration of Experiential Education included:
- Remarks from President Monica Posey and Provost Robbin Hoopes about the importance of co-op and other experiential education in achieving Cincinnati State's mission.
Dr. Posey noted that experiential education "tranforms lives and benefits the community."
- Examples of innovative ways students completed co-op experiences during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Examples of how feedback from co-op employers is used for assessment processes and curriculum improvement.
- Summaries of recent data about the College's experiential education activities.
- Plans for future activities, including expanding eligibility for the Co-op/Internship Scholarship to include students who participate in clinical experiences.
Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale continues May 8 & beyond
The annual Horticulture Club Plant and Flower Sale at the Clifton Campus Greenhouse (near the Ludlow Garage) continues on Saturday, May 8, and on Wednesdays and Thursdays for the rest of May. Days and times are:
- Saturday, May 8, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesdays from noon to 6 p.m. on May 12, 19, and 26
- Thursdays from noon to 6 p.m. on May 13, 20, and 27
- You can park in the small lot in front of the Greenhouse. Access to the lot is a short driveway located between Ludlow Ave. and the Ludlow Garage entrance.
The Greenhouse is open for in-person shoppers in search of beautiful and bountiful annuals, perennials, veggies, herbs, or houseplants.
Safety protocols in place include:
- Credit card purchasing is required to support "no touch" payment ($10 minimum purchase required)
- Masks are mandatory
- Social distancing will be enforced, with a maximum of 20 people in the Greenhouse at the same time
All proceeds from the annual sale support student participation in the National Collegiate Landscape Competition.
For more information, contact Greenhouse Manager Kelly Wanstrath (email@example.com).
(Photo from 2020 sale provided by Kelly Wanstrath)
Overlook specials of the week for May 10-13
For the week of May 10-13, the specials of the week from Kate's Catering at the Overlook include:
- Wednesday, May 12 - Blue Plate Special: Chicken Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Fiesta Corn ($8)
- Thursday, May 13 - Blue Plate Special: Chicken Wings with Sauces, Celery, Carrots, and Ranch ($6)
- The Sandwich Special for the full week is an All American Cheeseburger with Toppings Bar ($6)
The Overlook Cafe on Clifton Campus is open 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday through Thursday.
This schedule will continue throughout Summer Semester.
I-75 / I-74 Construction Update: Hopple St ramp closure on May 7
The following overnight restrictions are scheduled for Friday, May 7:
- Single-lane closure on I-74 East between Montana Avenue and I-75 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following day.
- Single-lane closure on I-75 North between Hopple Street and the Ludlow overpass from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Closure of the ramp from Hopple Street to I-75 North from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
- Short-term full closures on I-74 and I-75 within the work zone between midnight and 4 a.m.
All scheduled work is contingent upon weather.
To help ensure the safety of construction workers and the traveling public, motorists should remain alert, reduce their speed, and watch for stopped traffic while passing through the work zones.
For detailed traffic and construction information, visit OHGO.com.
- Experiential Education Celebration honored "Co-op of the Year" students
- Main Building reopens with standard hours on May 10
- Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale continues May 8 & beyond
- I-75 / I-74 Construction Update: Hopple St ramp closure on May 7
- I-75 / I-74 Construction Update: Hopple St ramp closures May 5 & 6
- Purge your old Zoom recordings, please
- Pastry student projects show sculptural flair
- Remote/Online Learning Support for May 3-7
- Many College employees received new computers in Spring semester
- Disability Services offers in-person testing in Summer; Instructors use new form to request test proctoring
- Mon. 5/10 - First day of Summer Semester (15-wk classes)
- Tue. 5/11 - Provost's Academic Update
- Wed. 5/12 - Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale
- Thu. 5/13 - Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale
- Tue. 5/18 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 5/18 - CCP Virtual Advising & Registration
- Wed. 5/19 - Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale
- Thu. 5/20 - Greenhouse Plant & Flower Sale
- Tue. 5/25 - Provost's Academic Update
- Tue. 5/25 - Board of Trustees meeting